Candle making - Soy Wax vs. Paraffin ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sazzy1

Reaction score
I just started candle making and trying to learn about the different waxes. I been reading so much about how Soy is so much better then paraffin - burns cooler, cleaner,longer...... etc. BUT to my SURPRISE I just found out that "Party Lites Candles" are 100% PARAFFIN and my opinion P L are still the best candles ever made. I have not seen a candle yet that burns "cleaner and longer" They virtually leave no residue. I love them, I just wish they were higher scented.
Anyhow how come so many people are saying soy burns longer and cleaner? NO WAY! Maybe cleaner for "the environment" I can believe that. And I'm convinced that P L is still the most selling candle there is and yet it is Paraffin.....
So far I have poured 3 batches of candles ( 3 different types of Soy) with poor results :-( I know it's a lot of trial and error - but I think the next batch I'll try paraffin!

It all comes down to preference. That is whats so wonderful about this hobby/business. You have so many different people that like this or that and thats okay. I myself prefer parafin wax. I have been testing and making candles for four years now. I've come up with an awesome blend of parafin/soy. It comes out one pour and its terrific with great scent throw. So make whatever type of candles you prefer and I will gladly take samples LOL!

Since you have just started making soy candles, it might help before you pass judgement on them if you purchased a properly made soy candle, (as you have the PL candles) and see what a good soy candle smells, looks and burns like. If your soy candles are not lasting longer than paraffin, I am almost certain you have not properly wicked the soy. If you are getting black soot from a soy candle, again you may have over wicked or your soy is burning way too hot. You have named two characteristics of soy that many paraffin candle makers will tell you are the reasons they blend soy with paraffin. I have been making soy candles for over 7 years and I sometimes burn paraffin candles made by extraordinary chandlers. They both have different characteristics and to each person, it's a personal preference. I don't know what other types of candles you have burned, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion - but I can think of many candles better than Party Light. Like you said they lack an consistant & strong scent throw, they are very expensive, and while you may have had clean burning experiences with them, my memories are of many blow outs from improperly wicked pillars and mucho black soot on the tops of my PL containers.

I agree 100% on this ..

and i on a personal note can not stand party lite candles .. its just my perferance and i dont like yankee candles either .. who are by far more popular than party lite ..

the wax you chose to use is a personal thing .. everyone is differant i also use a soy/par. blend for most things .. but things that i needd scuplted i will use parrafin because i can't get soy to scuplt... its not that kind of wax.

abbiepql said:
Since you have just started making soy candles, it might help before you pass judgement on them if you purchased a properly made soy candle, (as you have the PL candles) and see what a good soy candle smells, looks and burns like. If your soy candles are not lasting longer than paraffin, I am almost certain you have not properly wicked the soy. If you are getting black soot from a soy candle, again you may have over wicked or your soy is burning way too hot. You have named two characteristics of soy that many paraffin candle makers will tell you are the reasons they blend soy with paraffin. I have been making soy candles for over 7 years and I sometimes burn paraffin candles made by extraordinary chandlers. They both have different characteristics and to each person, it's a personal preference. I don't know what other types of candles you have burned, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion - but I can think of many candles better than Party Light. Like you said they lack an consistant & strong scent throw, they are very expensive, and while you may have had clean burning experiences with them, my memories are of many blow outs from improperly wicked pillars and mucho black soot on the tops of my PL containers.

I use parrifin myself and love it, i did try soy but couldnt get into it, it didnt have the throw i like. Mine burn clean, and all the way down, so i have to agree it's all a matter of what you like better

I came to soy through the purchase of a very well made soy melt product and tealights to match. Which I absolutely fell in love with. Not all soy is made the same the same way you know a cheap paraffin candle is not going to burn the same as a well made one. Its not easy and takes some learning and knowledge and patience to make a good soy candle.

Latest posts

Back