Candle Making Products HELP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv13

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
Hope you're all doing very well!

I've been interested in starting candle making for a while now and also start it business-wise. I'd love to sell homemade candles.

In the past I have tried experimenting with candle wax and there were times were it was successful and times where it wasn't so much. Now I'd like to invest and actually start off the right path.

1)So I'm interested in doing Pillar candles and was hoping to start using Rapeseed Wax throughout. Colouring it and giving it a scent, also using pre-waxed wicks with sustainers. Still need to look into molds though.

-Do you have any experience with Rapeseed Wax?
-Any suggestions with adding colouring and fragrance oil?
-Any type of molds that work best maybe?

2)Of course, it's probably best to purchase in wholesale so I thought of sharing approximate prices of some of the products to see what you guys think.
Rapeseed Wax for 5kg costs £58; 50 Candle Wicks cost £10; Fragrance Oils for 500ml cost £70 (Essential Oils are more costly)

-Do you feel the prices are worthed?
-5kg Wax... How many waxes approx can I make?
-Will 500ml serve me a lot?... really a lot?

Thank you for reading, your assistance will be appreciated!

Hi, Recently started on candles myself, not as easy as it looks is it, loads of testing of all the different variables! Where are you located? I presume UK as your prices are in £'s. If so, I think those prices are very high indeed.

Rapeseed wax - Pillar blend is around £25/£26 & VAT @20% for 5kg
Fragrance oil - 500g/ml some sell by volume, some by weight is around £33
Wicks - Pre waxed and tabbed are £5/£6 per 50qty & VAT @20%

These are by no means wholesale quantities and if your candles weighed 250g each unscented, (which is not a very large pillar) that 5kg wax would only make you 20 candles. Similarly with the fragrance oil, don't know about % use in that wax or in pillars in general, but if your useage rate was 20g per candle, that 500g bottle would only scent 25 candles.

Hey Radar-78 and thanks for posting.
It's definitely not as easy as it looks! Finding the right supplier and prices isn't an easy task either.

Somehow I knew that the prices were really expensive, I don't know where to find Rapeseed Wax online or any Pillar-related Wax.
Of course the more Wax I purchase from this supplier the larger the discount but if I can find another wax with more affordable prices I'd be so happy! Basically I'm not getting any much profit from these prices, especially the fragrances!

I've started with already coloured, scented candles.... that was pretty easy! But those candles aren't so cheap either.

Back