candle is tunneling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmescraft

Reaction score
Hi all,
I started making soy candles using wicks from Michaels, the wicks have a wire core which I don't like but my candles would burn straight down. I switched to all cotton wicks from WSP and now my candles are tunneling. Help! :? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
Dian

Hi,

Here's a web addy that might help you choose the correct size wick for your candles.

http://candlescience.com/

It could be that your current wick is too small.I'm sure you'll find the answer there.
Good luck :)

Munky.

Thanks Munky. I took a look but their wick guide didn't really help because they only list their type of wicks, not a standard measurement to compare other brands.

Blessings,
Dian

can you give us the diameter of the jar you are using and the size wick? It would help us to recommend some solutions.

I'm using 8oz jelly jars--diameter 2 3/8 inch and simple soy wick 2 from WSP, they are for containers that are 2-3".

Wick charts are always just a guideline. I would suggest wicking up and trying other wicks too if you can. Sometimes a change in wick size and/or type will make all the difference. Not every wick will always work with every fragrance. some fragrances also require you to wick up. sometimes you might need to wick up a few sizes.

htps, cds, ecos, rrds and cottons are wicks that work well in soy. There are other wicks that you can use as well. For the most part, soy does not burn as well with zinc wicks. However, some folks use them with no problem. I never liked them in soy.

Back