Candle help.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadaw16

Reaction score
I am a new candle maker and I have a few questions....
First, do you use stearic acid in your soy candles? If you do or don't, what are thoughts on using stearic acid?Second, I've switched scents, waxes, and my measurements and my scent throw still isn't up to par. What could I be doing wrong?
Any advice is welcomed.

I haven’t used stearic acid in candles so I can’t weigh in on that. I have experience with 464 and C3. I have noticed for soy wax that a good cure can make an ok candle a great one. Also there are a lot of weak or subtle fragrances out there and sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find the right fit.

I only stearic in paraffin pillars to make them easier to get out of the mold, more opaque, and less mottled.

What kind of candles are you making (container, pillar, etc.)? that would also help us in diagnosing the problem.
I find soy wax way too finicky and don't use it because I could never get a strong or consistent throw with it.

I only stearic in paraffin pillars to make them easier to get out of the mold, more opaque, and less mottled.

What kind of candles are you making (container, pillar, etc.)? that would also help us in diagnosing the problem.
I find soy wax way too finicky and don't use it because I could never get a strong or consistent throw with it.

So I’m focusing mainly on container candles for now because I am new to this. The stearin acid slows the burn time but it’s not consistent in the way it cools. (I.e sometimes the candle is very rigid at the top) I really want it to work lol

and the scents that I am now using from Wellington are a bit better than the previous scents but not where I want it.

I haven’t used stearic acid in candles so I can’t weigh in on that. I have experience with 464 and C3. I have noticed for soy wax that a good cure can make an ok candle a great one. Also there are a lot of weak or subtle fragrances out there and sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find the right fit.

The 464 is the wax that I’m currently using. Any tips you could share? I am currently using fragrances from Wellington and they are better than the last but still not where I would like it

The 464 is the wax that I’m currently using. Any tips you could share? I am currently using fragrances from Wellington and they are better than the last but still not where I would like it

I don’t have any experience with Wellington fragrances. My go to’s are usually Candle Science, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Candle Cocoon and I sometimes dabble and check out other suppliers. Nature’s Garden usually gets great reviews they are next on my list to try.
You’re going to find hits and misses with every supplier regardless.
The best advice I can give you is to not load your candle up with too much (11-12%) fragrance thinking that will improve the throw—it’s going to make it harder to wick and the oil will eventually seep out creating a potential hazard. Cure covered soy candles for two weeks minimum—some scents might need longer, some less. I’ve had success with using 8%-9% fragrance load and a nice long cure. When you test your fragrances make sure you have reasonable expectations. Even the best soy candle may not fill a large open floor plan living space. Test in a bathroom or bedroom. Have family or friends test it out if your comfortable with that. Often we are our own worst critics.

In addition to this forum check out Craftserver if you haven’t already.

I don’t have any experience with Wellington fragrances. My go to’s are usually Candle Science, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Candle Cocoon and I sometimes dabble and check out other suppliers. Nature’s Garden usually gets great reviews they are next on my list to try.
You’re going to find hits and misses with every supplier regardless.
The best advice I can give you is to not load your candle up with too much (11-12%) fragrance thinking that will improve the throw—it’s going to make it harder to wick and the oil will eventually seep out creating a potential hazard. Cure covered soy candles for two weeks minimum—some scents might need longer, some less. I’ve had success with using 8%-9% fragrance load and a nice long cure. When you test your fragrances make sure you have reasonable expectations. Even the best soy candle may not fill a large open floor plan living space. Test in a bathroom or bedroom. Have family or friends test it out if your comfortable with that. Often we are our own worst critics.

In addition to this forum check out Craftserver if you haven’t already.
Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back