Candle fragrance - how much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomCandle

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster and novice candle maker here!

I am becoming confused when it comes to how much fragrance to place into the melted wax before pouring the candle itself.

I want to make 30cl container candles, and the fragrance bottle says use 10% max. However, how can I calculate 10% of a liquid in regard to a solid (the wax before it is melted)?! Am I missing something here?

I am also confused to how some fragrances I have purchased state do not use more than 1% - if I did this you would not be able to smell any fragrance! What happens if you add too much fragrance - is it a fire hazard?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

If you are making a 30cl candle , you would use 3cl or g of fragrance and 27g of wax.

Some fragrances specify a lower limit which is usually because the allergen levels would be too high although you should also be aware of flashpoints as well.

Some fragrances specify a lower limit which is usually because the allergen levels would be too high although you should also be aware of flashpoints as well.
Why be aware of flashpoints? Unless he is shipping the fragrance, flashpoint should be a non-issue. It literally has nothing to do with the candlemaking process unless the candle is being made around an open flame, and that alone would be dangerous enough.

This has been discussed recently on this forum, and on every candle forum I am on. Not sure how the myth got started that flashpoint somehow has something to do with the scent dissipating at the flashpoint temperature, but that just simply is not true.
Here is the definition of flashpoint and what it means:

The flash point is a general indication of the flammability or combustibility of a liquid. Flash Point is the lowest temperature at which a liquid (usually a petroleum product) will form a vapour in the air near its surface that will “flash,” or briefly ignite, on exposure to an open flame.

Anyway, above and beyond that, just because a wax CAN hold that amount of fragrance doesn't mean it needs too. It's all about the bottom line for me. If I can't get a candle to throw with 6% FO load, no matter the wax I'm using, I don't use that FO, or I change waxes. (one of the reasons I don't use soy - way to finicky with scent, and have to use too much to get decent scented candle)

The percents are by weight. So you need a good scale that can measure by gram or ounce. So for example if you want to use a 10% fragrance load, and you are using 20 grams of wax, then you need 2 grams of fragrance.
Hope this helps.

Any candlemaker should be aware of flashpoints its not something you should discount at all, sorry I don't agree with you. My view has nothing to do with fragrance dissipation but safety.

If someone messes up the temp of the wax or the temp of fragrance it's very easy to get to the flashpoint of a fragrance and whilst its not something I have ever done, I do always check the flashpoint level as well as the max fragrance load before I make candles.

That was all I was saying.

it's very easy to get to the flashpoint of a fragrance
Yes, it is quite easy, but that still has no bearing on flashpoint itself.
As long as you are not working with the fragrance around an open flame where it can vapourize and ignite, then there should not be a safety issue where flashpoint is concerned.

You don't have to agree with me, but that doesn't make the meaning and what happens with flashpoint any different.
I have worked with several fragrances (too many to count actually) where the flashpoint was 100° or only slightly above. I did not work with candles any differently than what I typically would do with any other fragrance.

Back