Candelilla wax instead of beeswax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianaBM

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have candelilla wax & soy wax instead of beeswax. According to the soapmaking recipe, use 4 oz beeswax. I know I need to get half of that ingredient but I don’t know the amount for other wax. So how much candelilla wax/soy wax? Do you know any websites that I can go to figure out the amounts of candelilla wax instead of beeswax? Thank you! ❤️

OPTION 1 - In cases like this, it's best to ask the supplier where you purchased the waxes. They often have that information right on the same page as the product.

OPTION 2 - Go to the Search function in the upper right-hand corner of this page. Type in "beeswax substitute", tick the "Titles Only" box, and then hit "search".

OPTION 3 - With no other choice, find a recipe or take your best guess and make a few samples to find what works for the product you have in mind. From my own experience, candelilla wax is harder than beeswax so you would use less; soy wax is softer than beeswax so you would use more. (If I remember correctly. :p It's been a while since I messed around with various waxes.)

@DianaBM I'm confused... you posted this question in the candle forum, but then you mention a soapmaking recipe. Are you making soap, or candles? I'm pretty sure the previous responses were related to soap, not candles.

Sorry, I should have been clearer...it's actually the recipe feedback thread in the soapmaking and candle recipe forum. It was probably my error in thinking the OP might have been asking about candles.

I don't make candles but I do use candelilla wax in my lip balms. I live in an area that is VERY hot and humid most of the time. I find beeswax far too soft to stand up to the heat. And alot of people are allergic to soy so I don't use it either. Plus candelilla plants are native to southern north america and northern mexico so it's a selling point that I'm selling a local plant to Louisiana

Latest posts

Back