Candelilla wax in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this in CP? How does it compare to beeswax? I'm making a small test batch just because but I noticed it really lowers the conditioning number. Hope its not too awful lol.

I seem to remember reading someplace that it was *super* hard, Obsidian, that you would only use about half as much as you would beeswax. You might want to check that though, I don't remember the context.

Please post an update on the final result obsidian, I'm really interested to know. I have some of that wax, I bought for lip balm making. Can I guess why you are trying the candelilla wax in a soap

Yep, I'll update. Its in the oven right now to force gel. It was actually a spur of the moment idea when I ran across my bag of wax. Its been sitting around for nearly two years, I need to find some use for it.

One thing different from beeswax is the candelilla doesn't seem to be a heater like beeswax is. It does trace really fast though.

Last edited:
I once added it to every batch, the only draw back was that I had to soap a bit hotter than I liked. Nice hard bar, no acceleration. I really like it in castile bars.

Yay!! And I need to get started. Just took out all of my soaping supplies from the boxes. First liquid soap, then some swirling for the challange and hopefully by the end of this month I will have made a swap soap that I would like enough.

Moonstruck, interesting that it doesn't speed trace, espec. b/c it is even harder than beeswax, you would think it would thicken faster. What % were you using?

I don't recall it speeding trace, that said this was pree hiatus and I haven't used it since I started back soaping. Mind you I rarely had too many issues with surprise acceleration, apart from fragrances I was too silly to test first.

Mine accelerated quite a bit but I contributed to the high temps and high amount of wax used. It wasn't a BOOM surprise acceleration though, you could see if coming so I was able to stop SB in time. I would think a lower % wouldn't have to be soaped so hot.

Obsidian, I believe I used candellia wax at half the amount I saw people using beeswax. I can't remember the exact amount. I didn't soap super hot, basically as close to room temp as I could get without the wax resolidifying.

If I try using it again, I'll use less and let it cool down some. I didn't mind the quick trace since I wasn't doing anything fancy with it. I added the color to the oils before the lye, would have done the same with scent if I had used it.

If I try using it again, I'll use less and let it cool down some. I didn't mind the quick trace since I wasn't doing anything fancy with it. I added the color to the oils before the lye, would have done the same with scent if I had used it.
@Obsidian, so I know this is an old post but how did you end up liking this soap with the candelilla? 😊

Latest posts

Back