Can you whip your lotion bar and create whipped lotion?

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by gigisiguenza, Mar 26, 2017.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1

gigisiguenza

gigisiguenza

gigisiguenza

I'm curious if I can take my lotion bar recipe I've been using and, while it's still liquid, whip it to make it light and creamy versus a solid bar. It's made using oils, butters, and beeswax.

TIA for any advice :)

Ps... life is slowly coming back together and there may actually be funds AND time to get back to soaping in my future. Yippee! :)

Susie and dibbles like this.
  2. Mar 26, 2017 #2

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Pretty sure you'll need to add some liquid oils to it or it will just reharden once it completely cools.

I've been meaning to try this myself. I have a bunch of lotion bars in the freezer and no one likes using them so I want to turn them into body butter.

Susie likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #3

gigisiguenza

gigisiguenza

gigisiguenza

Hmmm true. Maybe more liquid oils and less beeswax. And I'm having the same trouble. No one wants to use the solid bars LOL.

4. Mar 26, 2017 #4

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Hmmmm. I'm not sure with the beeswax in there it would whip well. :confused: I'd just soap it.

HTH :bunny:

cmzaha likes this.
  5. Mar 26, 2017 #5

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I agree with Zany- if you want a whipped lotion-y consistency, the beeswax is going to defeat all your efforts. It would make a nice body-butter, though.

How hard/soft do your lotion bars turn out? I ask, because if they are hard enough, you could also use them as in-the-shower-lotion bars, but you'll need to add a preservative if you do.

I make in-the-shower lotion bars out of a regular lotion bar recipe, with the addition of candelilla wax, and some lotion ingredients such as cetyl alcohol and polawax (and a preservative). I pour the melted ingredients into individual Milkway-type soap molds, and once solidified I put them on a soap dish in my shower. I use them in the winter time when my skin feels like it needs a little something extra. After washing, I rub the lotion bar in my wet hands and rub my hands over my arms and legs and lightly rinse just before turning off the water and drying off. It makes the skin feel real nice and pampered. You just need to make sure you rinse shower floor well so that it is not slippery for the next person who takes a shower. lol

IrishLass :)

BattleGnome and Zany_in_CO like this.
  6. Mar 27, 2017 #6

gigisiguenza

gigisiguenza

gigisiguenza

I hadn't thought of that. Hmmm. I think some experimentation is in order. Body butter might be nice. Time to find out what body butter is LOL. I still haven't braved the lotion road yet, but I will. :)

Tyvm all :)