Can you use spirulina capsules (opened) to color soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanna

Reaction score
I have a recipe I want to try for CP soap that uses Spirulina to color the soap. Spirulina is so expensive! Even the capsules are around $10 a bottle. Before I buy a bottle of capsules (they are much cheaper than the powder), can I break them open and use the contents to color the soap? Has anyone tried this? Thanks!

Spirulina turns brown in CP soap after a couple of days, I think it lasts a little longer if you hot process and add it after the cook. However other threads here show that chlorophyll seems to quickly lead to DOS, dreaded orange spots, and spirulina is very high in chlorophyll. I'm sure that if the capsules are two pieces and you pull them apart, what's inside is just the powder.

Dill makes a specked green that in CP turns brown in a few months I think, and in hot process stays green indefinitely. Does not appear to cause DOS.

I use spirulina and nettle for green and they have never turned brown or had DOS. I love the color that spirulina gives. The Bulk Herb Store has the best price on spirulina that I have found :)

I only used Spirulina once in salt bars, it didn't stay a nice bright green but it didn't turn brown either. Its still green but is slowly turning a orangish color but is still pretty.

Back