Can you use Neutrogena Body Oil to make CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GVKW

Reaction score
Obviously it's a soft oil, so you would need to cut it with some harder ones like coconut and babassu, and I'm guessing the lovely fragrance wouldn't survive intact, but still...

*If* one were gonna attempt it, could I use sesame oil in the calculator (with a healthy percentage of superfat to pick up any slack lye, of course)?

Obviously it's a soft oil, so you would need to cut it with some harder ones like coconut and babassu, and I'm guessing the lovely fragrance wouldn't survive intact, but still...

*If* one were gonna attempt it, could I use sesame oil in the calculator (with a healthy percentage of superfat to pick up any slack lye, of course)?

Thing with it is, it doesnt just contail oil

Ingredients - Isopropyl Myristate, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, PEG-40 Sorbitan Peroleate, Fragrance, Propylparaben, BHT

First ingredient is Isopropyl Myristate, which is a base for perfumes. Even though it feels oily it is an alcohol ester (I think I'm saying that correctly). It would not be suitable for soapmaking.

If you like the smell of the body oil, I would look for a fragrance dupe and use that in your regular soap recipe.

Isopropyl Myristate is actually a synthetic oil that is used to cut the greasy feel in cosmetics. It is used as a replacement for Mineral Oil many times. I love it in lotions

That being said, you can always try it but not sure it is worth the money, or time spent to try it. I would go with the sap for whatever oil is listed. Looks like the sap value for IPM is 0.200-0.143 KOH/NaOH. so that might help you with a guideline of what to use for sap depending on whatever other oil is used.

If you try it keep us posted on how it turns out :D might be very interesting:nodding:

Isopropyl Myristate is actually a synthetic oil that is used to cut the greasy feel in cosmetics. It is used as a replacement for Mineral Oil many times. I love it in lotions

That being said, you can always try it but not sure it is worth the money, or time spent to try it. I would go with the sap for whatever oil is listed. Looks like the sap value for IPM is 0.200-0.143 KOH/NaOH. so that might help you with a guideline of what to use for sap depending on whatever other oil is used.

If you try it keep us posted on how it turns out :D might be very interesting:nodding:
And the naoh value for sesame oil is .137/.138, and there's less of it by volume, so as long as I use a .143 substitute in the calculator it should be okay, then?

I guess my second question becomes "How much hard oil must I have to balance it out with the NBO?" Obviously I want to use as much of the Body Oil as possible but I still need it to actually firm up into soap lol. I've read some people say 50/50 hard to soft ratio, and others claim 70/30 is absolute requisite. Any advice there?

If you must try it, I don't know why you couldn't use it at 100%. Castile soap is 100% olive oil. Now that I've said that, as soapers we do know that using a combination of oils results in better soap, and not all single oil soaps are good. You can search the forum to find links showing the results of single oil soaps. If I were in your shoes and determined to use body oil in soap, I would take my regular recipe and replace one of the liquid oils with the body oil. This would also help you know what the body oil brings to the soap because you would have a basis of comparison by using a known recipe.

Maybe consider making a 0% sf soap using the hot process method then add the body oil after it’s cooked.

I would do as Amd mentioned, not use it as a superfat. As she mentioned, you will tell how much difference, if any, it makes in a known recipe. You will have no idea if you go with a new recipe. What I do when using questionable oil is average the 2 sap values and use a 5% superfat.

Back