Can you use fizzy pop in cp soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twaburds

Reaction score
Hi!

I want to make soap which smells like my favourite fizzy drink. Is it possible to use fizzy juice in cp? I know it would be need to be flat and that the sugar would increase the temp (could i use sugar free?!) but would the fragrance come thru and would it change the texture of the soap?

Are there alternatives? Like could i use a flavoured cordial or flavour drops designed for baking? I have found a flavour oil which has the correct fragrance but would that work in cp?

Thanks in advance!

Ashley

Last edited:
I agree with Carolyn. The only scents that have any real lasting power in my soap are fragrance oils. Other than those, the only other things that have had enough scent power to survive the lye monster in my soap are 1. un-deodorized cocoa butter and 2. honey. But they are always very short-lived, disappearing into thin air by the time my soap is done curing.

Having said that, I make a soap with a fizzy-pop scent that has become a favorite amongst my family & friends. The FO is called Paradise (from Daystar Candle and Soap Supply). I don't know if you are familiar with a lemon-lime flavored soda called Sprite (it's very popular here in the US), but it smells just like that, complete with the sensation of fizziness. I don't know how on earth they are able to convey fizz in a fragrance oil, but when you sniff it, it's like you are actually sniffing fizzy soda pop, even though there's no carbonation.

IrishLass :)

Teresa-it does indeed smell like nehi grape but it discolors medium tan so not convincing.... LOL

I made soap out of moutain dew (the throwback so it was real sugar), I let it go flat and used it as the water. MASSIVE volcano when I added lye so make sure your container is MUCH bigger than the lye/water amount! Other than the volcano it wasn't any different than soap I added sugar to, and it turned brown from the sugar. Meh.

I think most liquids just aren't worth the trouble in soap, and soda definitely falls under that umbrella. It wouldn't offer any scent, the huge amount of sugar would be a pain, and it probably has citric acid or something of that sort, right? Wouldn't that increase your superfat?

I agree that a fragrance oil would be the best route. I didn't start using fragrance oils until I had been making soap for over a year and a half, but they're totally worth the splurge. If you don't like fragrance oils, you could even use lime and lemon oils to convey a citrus soda scent like Sprite. Flavor oils aren't designed to work in soap, so chances are, they won't. They'll probably be eaten up by the lye, or they might even morph into something awful.

Last edited:
Teresa-it does indeed smell like nehi grape but it discolors medium tan so not convincing.... LOL

I made soap out of moutain dew (the throwback so it was real sugar), I let it go flat and used it as the water. MASSIVE volcano when I added lye so make sure your container is MUCH bigger than the lye/water amount! Other than the volcano it wasn't any different than soap I added sugar to, and it turned brown from the sugar. Meh.

Good to know! I've got a really great purple mica (Wisteria Purple) from Nurture soap. I used it in the "mica madness" soap. I'll bet if I use enough of it, it will overwhelm the tan discoloration and still get a good purple.

http://cdn.soapmakingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21136&stc=1&d=1463677576

Either that or you get a purply nice dark brown :mrgreen:

I looked around but I think I gave out all my bars and can't find the pictures I took.

Be very aware of the lye volcano......did I mention that?

I am not sure if the high fructose corn syrup/fake sugars will react differently (which is why I went with the "real sugar" version) sooooo keep us posted :).

And flavor is different from smell, so I doubt the flavor drops would do anything, plus some have alcohol which makes CP soap misbehave I'm told...

I am not sure if the high fructose corn syrup/fake sugars will react differently (which is why I went with the "real sugar" version) sooooo keep us posted

I've used fructose (granulated) before and it behaves very similar to honey when mixed in my lye solution. I dissolved it in my water before adding my lye, and it warmed up and turned my lye water quite red, which transitioned into a burnt orange color. My soap came out fine, though- the color only morphed to a light tan.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back