Can you remove from mould too early?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyk

Reaction score
What are the ramifications of removing my batch from the mould in say 12 hrs instead of 24?

Does it matter as long as it does not stick to the mould?

Opinions please.

As long as it is firm enough to unmold, no problems :lol: Different recipes firm up quicker than others and can be unmolded sooner (like salt soap).

Just one thing, I think the soap should be kept wrapped in blankets up to hold in the heat until it quits being exothermic, until the saponification reaction completes. That's why we wrap the mold in blankets, to keep it warm, because chemical reactions proceed faster when the temperature is higher. I've been playing around lately with leaving a remote reading oven thermometer probe in close contact with the mold so I can see what the temperature is inside the mold. I prefer to leave the mold and soap covered by blankets until I see that the heat is dropping back towards room temperature.

Other than keeping in the heat I can't see any problem in unmolding as soon as the soap holds its shape through cutting.

Or is that wrapping the mold in blankets another of those "myths" perpetuated by out of date books?

Someone somewhere here said that they keep their soap covered for 24 hrs to make sure no ash forms on the bars after. But it is not something I have ever tested.

Laurie

I never wrap up my molds. I use the wooden molds and so far, not a problem. In fact, my first batch, I used a milk carton, never wrapped it, and it's fine.

I line my mold with freezer paper (I have a wooden mold) and right after I pour the soap I cover the top with cling wrap and put the lid on. Sometimes I toss an old shirt on the mold just to make sure it doesn't catch a "chill"...After about two hours, it has gelled all the way and I take the lid of and pull the cling wrap off... After another two hours it has mostly cooled and I pull the freezer paper up and out of the mold (with the soap in it...) and set it on the counter for like an hour....

Woo... long response...

Basically I un mold in about 5 hours. :D

I'm guessing that weather and humidity will play a part in the unmoulding time.

I know winter in Melbourne Australia can be quite moist (we are in winter at the moment) and I'm wondering if that will delay the unmoulding.

crazyk said:
I'm guessing that weather and humidity will play a part in the unmoulding time.

I know winter in Melbourne Australia can be quite moist (we are in winter at the moment) and I'm wondering if that will delay the unmoulding.

I would have to agree with you there, the cooler weather plays havoc on soaping.
My last couple of batches (wooden log mould) I have had to bring indoors all wrapped up and near a heater just to get them to gel phase.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back