Can you make your own dividers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking into the arcrylic dividers for a bit but I do not like the idea of paying $30+ for a for a set that might not even fit my loaf mold properly (thanks, amazon). So, being the reasonable penny-pincher I am, I want to know if it is feasible to attempt to make my own dividers, as possibly dangerous as it is. Moreover, would the acrylic material I can get via Home Depot, Lowe's or Amazon even be soap-safe?

I have seen people use thin cardboard from cereal boxes as dividers as well, one time use, but it’s a reuse of a recyclable and degradable product.

Reusing thin plastic for dividers, cardboard, etc. imagination and reuse. It’s made me look at my garbage in a whole new light.

I’ve cleaned up my wet cat food that comes in little plastic tubs for mixing scent and colorant. And applesauce individual serving tubs.

@Jeboz I don't know why that video never popped up for me. Thanks.
@dixiedragon I did not think about using a cardboard box. Probably because I am bent on the acrylic. Still a great suggestion. Thanks.
@jcandleattic I would have to think about that later. My mind is drawing a blank on that for some reason.
@SoapySuds With all these suggestions, I just might take a closer look at the garbage. But for now, research. (Soapy) Scheming comes later.

You could also pop into a local sign shop and see if they have any scraps of something called Sintra. It can be cut with an Xacto knife easily and it's a type of plastic. I've made dividers for my acrylic molds with it. It's easily washable, thick enough to stay in place but flexible enough to bend it if necessary.

I used those flexible cutting boards form the $1 Tree store. Bought 5, used 3 for soap and the other 2 for the kitchen ;) Worst I was out was a couple bucks.
I think they only come about a foot wide .
Check out your $1 store if you can't find something at home. LOTS of ideas there in every isle ;)

I also use cardboard. We keep a stack of amazon and ingredient supplier boxes in the basement, and I find that the flaps on the boxes are often almost the right size for smaller molds. Kind of a pain to cut cardboard to fit the mold, but no worse than cutting paper to line the mold :) If you want to use the cardboard more than once, you can cover it with packing tape.

I think I might be off to the dollar store today. I keep seeing people post about using those cutting boards, and I might have to give that a try.

I use cardboard and cover with freezer paper and minimal packing tape (making my dividers an inch taller than the mold and placing the open end of the freezer paper at the top and taping there). Makes them easy to clean up and reuse.

Glad I searched “dividers”, lots of good ideas here. I’ve got a bunch of old lids for plastic totes that don’t have a matching bottom. I’m going to try and make a couple dividers from those.

Back