Can you make CPOP without an oven? YES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n6561echo

Reaction score
Most soapers complain that their oven won't go any lower than 170F, mine included. The result, overheated soap, or a nightmare observation schedule. Ah, the old heating pad trick; it works but it can be messy and unreliable. So, what's the answer? Actually, there are two. 1. PRESTO brand 16" x 10" deep dish, electric skillet with glass cover, and infinite temperature dial. I put a piece of thin cardboard in the metal surface so that my silicone molds don't make direct contact. I set the temp control between the W-A (warm) and I get a steady 125F for as long as I want. Just a slight adjustment, and I'm up to 140F for as long as I want. It will hold
9-12 individual molds, large muti-cavity molds, or two 10" or 12" loaf molds. Average cost Amazon/WalMart about $39.00

The other option is the 16" x 10" PRESTO griddle. Same heating element, and infinite temperature control dial. In this case, I cut down a cardboard box to 14"x 10"x 4,"and placed it, upside down on the griddle. Again, I put a cardboard buffer between the metal surface and the bottom of my molds. Just to be sure I also put a large, double folded towel over the whole thing. I used roughly the same settings (in the "warm" area) of the temp dial. It will hold your selected temp within a few degrees, as long as you want. (and don't peek)

I checked the temps of the meal surface, the cardboard surface, mold surfaces, and soap surface, with my infrared/laser temp gum. Very impressed with both setups, clean, reliable, and easy. I've only used the "warm"
area of the temp dial, and found it offered a range from about 90-170. Average cost about $20.00.

NO MORE OVEN FOR ME!

Last edited:
Most soapers complain that their oven won't go any lower than 170F, mine included. The result, overheated soap, or a nightmare observation schedule. Ah, the old heating pad trick; it works but it can be messy and unreliable. So, what's the answer? Actually, there are two. 1. PRESTO brand 16" x 10" deep dish, electric skillet with glass cover, and infinite temperature dial. I put a piece of thin cardboard in the metal surface so that my silicone molds don't make direct contact. I set the temp control between the W-A (warm) and I get a steady 125F for as long as I want. Just a slight adjustment, and I'm up to 140F for as long as I want. It will hold
9-12 individual molds, large muti-cavity molds, or two 10" or 12" loaf molds. Average cost Amazon/WalMart about $39.00

The other option is the 16" x 10" PRESTO griddle. Same heating element, and infinite temperature control dial. In this case, I cut down a cardboard box to 14"x 10"x 4,"and placed it, upside down on the griddle. Again, I put a cardboard buffer between the metal surface and the bottom of my molds. Just to be sure I also put a large, double folded towel over the whole thing. I used roughly the same settings (in the "warm" area) of the temp dial. It will hold your selected temp within a few degrees, as long as you want. (and don't peek)

I checked the temps of the meal surface, the cardboard surface, mold surfaces, and soap surface, with my infrared/laser temp gum. Very impressed with both setups, clean, reliable, and easy. I've only used the "warm"
area of the temp dial, and found it offered a range from about 90-170. Average cost about $20.00.

NO MORE OVEN FOR ME!
Thanks for your post, I’m looking for an oven alternative, going to try this, how is it going since you posted this?

Thanks for your post, I’m looking for an oven alternative, going to try this, how is it going since you posted this?
This post is 4yrs old, the person you are asking the question of hasn't been here since then. You are posting on old threads. Look at the top left hand side for the date of posts.

Back