Can you help me with body butter? (newbie) :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I would really like to make a body butter. (I'm new to b&b product making).

My goal is to make something I like as well as, or better than, my personal favorite which is by the Body Shop and is Shea Body butter.

THEIR ingredient list is: (gulp)
Water (Solvent/Diluent), Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii) (Emollient), Cocoa (Theobroma Cacao) Butter (Emollient), Cyclomethicone (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Babassu (Orbignya Oleifera) Oil (Emollient), Beeswax (Emulsifier/Emollient), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Caramel (Colour), F D & C Yellow No 5 (Colour).

I'm sure I can simplify it some with some help......but I want a firm butter like their product if anyone is familiar with it.

Can someone assist me in getting started? Point me to a source of recipes, etc or something?

Much appreciated,

Dana

Hi Dana, I started making body butter, that I thought was light and creamy. Well if you change your carrier oil, BOY THINGS ARE DIFFERENT!! I started out with olive oil as my carrier, I whip it with my shea and get a heavy, but long lasting "butter" Then I got some Vitamin E oil, I whip it with my shea and get a very light, creamy Whipped Cream type lotion that melts on your skin. Just my little experiment :)

I am running laste this morning but will try to post directions later today. I have posted on this al least twice in the past 6 months, maybe you can locate the thread.

I can tell you the longer you whip & the quicker you go from hot to cold, the harder it will be & I would not use more than 24% oilvs butter to maintain your firmness.

Shea butter can pretty oily too so I'd use a lighter oil to whip into it. To me oo, while I do like it in my soap and a bit in my bath bombs, in a butter is too heavy. This is just my preference though. I'd use one of these: apricot kernel oil, macadamia nut oil, cherry kernel oil, peach kernel oil, or fco, etc. Making whipped butters is a lot of fun. I really enjoy trying different oils to whip in it to see how feels on my skin.

Thanks Tab! Great thread especially for today my butter is on my last nerve- What am I doing wrong or some people may like it as I do- Jojoba oil my favorite- heavy heavy!!! Sheesh it's no wonder I'm getting butter instead of cream- LOL!
Dana- you might like that though- I do like Tab- 75% butter- 25% oil- if you want butter use Jojoba or a heavier one and you'll get the scoop out kind- like the body shop!
I like this kind too but really want to conquer a whippy one as well which is now the thorn in my side- okay gotta run and grab some light oil!
:)

How do you clean your beaters, bowls, etc. after making lotions? My daughter wanted to make lip balm the other day - we had never tried it before- we looked up a recipe and made some very nice lip balm but there is still thick beeswax/shea/almond oil mixture stuck to the bowls and things despite washing in hot sudsy water. Do you need to use A LOT of dish soap? Thanks for the help!

I have to use a ton of dish soap cuz I think I have obsessive compulsive disorder about having stuff clean. Hahahaahahahahaha

I wish I had a dishwasher, oh wait!! I do!! He is 14 and his name is Travys! hahahahaha too bad he doesn't do the dishes right!

Orange essential oil will cut through that grease, most diaper wipes work too.

Back