can you comment on my recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
can i go for the following recipe.60percent pomace oilve oil,6 percent castor oil,10% shea butter,25%coconut oil.will this be a better recipe.can someone comment on the same.

First of all, it's adds up to 101% so drop the Castor to 5%.

Pomace Olive Oil is okay (I started with it), but it traces (thickens) more quickly that regular Olive Oil so you will have less time to work with it for swirls. Also, that much Olive Oil will require a much longer cure time...I'd say a good five to six months depending on the time of year and the part of the country you live it. Unless of course, you are curing soap in a control environment. I cure in my garage...during the Spring/Summer cure time is 6 to 8 weeks, during the Fall/Winter it's 10 to 12 weeks. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US and we get a lot of rain.

If you're looking to test and use your soaps within the usual 4-8wks of curing then you need to lower your olive oil, maybe to half that amount. You can stick with this of course, and also use it earlier, but it just won't give you the best experience.

Are you limited to these oils?

If not, then there's so much you can do. If you add butters - both kokum and mango are relatively common and inexpensive there (I know coz I'm looking to import from Coimbatore or UT lol), and if you add those you increase both hardness and longevity.

To cut the olive you have sunflower (make sure it's high oleic), neem, avocado, sweet almond, apricot kernel, safflower..... Message me if you want to know the companies I'm looking at :)

Pomace Olive Oil is okay (I started with it), but it traces (thickens) more quickly that regular Olive Oil so you will have less time to work with it for swirls. Also, that much Olive Oil will require a much longer cure time...I'd say a good five to six months depending on the time of year and the part of the country you live it. Unless of course, you are curing soap in a control environment. I cure in my garage...during the Spring/Summer cure time is 6 to 8 weeks, during the Fall/Winter it's 10 to 12 weeks. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US and we get a lot of rain.
I live in India,South India,Tamilnadu

If you're looking to test and use your soaps within the usual 4-8wks of curing then you need to lower your olive oil, maybe to half that amount. You can stick with this of course, and also use it earlier, but it just won't give you the best experience.

If not, then there's so much you can do. If you add butters - both kokum and mango are relatively common and inexpensive there (I know coz I'm looking to import from Coimbatore or UT lol), and if you add those you increase both hardness and longevity.

To cut the olive you have sunflower (make sure it's high oleic), neem, avocado, sweet almond, apricot kernel, safflower..... Message me if you want to know the companies I'm looking at :)
Thanks for your reply

Thank you can i cut down the pomace olive oil to 50 percent and include 10 percent sunflower oil and 5 percent castor oil.I live in india and in tamilnadu but it is taking a long time to cure.

I live in India,South India,Tamilnadu

Thanks for your reply

Thank you can i cut down the pomace olive oil to 50 percent and include 10 percent sunflower oil and 5 percent castor oil.I live in india and in tamilnadu but it is taking a long time to cure.

Any soap with high liquid oil amount is going to require a long cure, no way around it. Plus high OO soap is slimy even when fully cured. You'd be much better off making something better balanced. Do you have access to Palm or any butters? Are you opposed to animal fats or do you have access?

Do you have access to rice bran oil? I love a combination of olive and rice bran as opposed to just olive. I used to soap at around 60% liquid oils and an 8-12 week cure worked best for me.

Hai,
I live in Tamilnadu. It'll be really useful if you post the names of the companies. Which olive oil brand is the best?? I would love to make some Bastille soaps for my kids but choosing a trusted brand is really confusing.

Do you have access to rice bran oil? I love a combination of olive and rice bran as opposed to just olive. I used to soap at around 60% liquid oils and an 8-12 week cure worked best for me.
@Megan could you please tell me how much % of olive and rice bran you use together??

@winusuren do you have access to olive oil made somewhere nearby, maybe the middle east? I can't be sure but maybe those will be less adulterated... You'd have to do research.

As with Megan I love rice bran oil and I've actually replaced olive oil with it in all my recipes, not just half. For my 4yr old I use this soap, and we've been using it for some time now. Personally I like it better than the Castile I made, even when testing both very early on into the cure.

I'll see if I can get you a list of suppliers. I know for sure there's another thread here where other soapers from India have shared their sources, we just need to look for it.

do you have access to olive oil made somewhere nearby, maybe the middle east?
@Dawni, No...I've just started soap making for my personal use but now I'm so much interested in starting my own business.. Actually I've started experimenting few months back and I'm working on my recipe. I hope everything goes well. SMF is such a wonderful source for people like me. Reading posts each day is making me curious to try a lot of different recipes... Thank you all for your support and guidance...

My long list of soap recipes to try never got shorter.... LOL

Side note, I use my triple rice on my kid if I've run out of the RBO one in the shower hehe

Think about it real hard before making this a business. Do your thorough research. There's a lot of experience others have posted here about their own business, you can start there.

Thank you @lianasouza, saved me a search haha

Latest posts

Back