Can too much honey make a cold process bar gummy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate Goodhart

Reaction score
The last few loaves, all with different liquids, have come out somewhat gummy(?) on the surface, and overall the bars are taking longer to harden.

Live in a very hot/dry area. All go through gel phase. Different oils used in each batch. The only common denominator is that I have increased the honey content to 30g for a 3lb batch.

Haven't read of too much honey causing this... so asking the question just in case I'm searching wrong.

Edit: I had reduced my liquids by 15g to compensate for the additional honey. 1 Tbsp honey = 15g, since I was using double, I reduced liquid (OJ, goat milk and coffee, incidentally).

Last edited:
Speaking only for myself, I find 30 grams for a 3lb batch to be on the conservative side. :cool: The normal amount I use is about 25g ppo......and I've never bothered adjusting my water when using it. For what it's worth, my honey soaps have never come out gummy. In case it might matter, though, I should probably mention that I add my honey to my cooled-off lye solution before soaping it, which I've found to be a game changer in terms of it preventing overheating and/or separating when gelling, etc..

IrishLass :)

I do the same as IL when adding honey to my batch. I don't decrease my liquid at all. I use about the same as she does in my soap. Never had gummy soap. If you post your entire recipe we could better help you troubleshoot.

I use 60g in a 4lb (roughly, it's 2044g oils) batch. I do subtract from the liquid amount. My honey soaps tend to be a bit softer, although I wouldn't say gummy, so I counteract that by adding 1% stearic acid to my oil formulation.

Got side tracked and never got to see the responses until now!

Anywho, after a few days, no gummyness to report. Must have taken it out of the mold too early.

Latest posts

Back