Can this be right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namedujour

Reaction score
I was working on two crock pots at the same time, making two batches of hot process soap. I didn't realize until after I had completed one batch, and molded it, that I hadn't turned on the other crock pot. The lye mixture was sitting there, cold and hardened.

I didn't know what was going to happen, or whether the batch was salvageable, but I put the crock pot on, and went back some time later to check it. I guess I was expecting the mixture to gel on the outer edges the way it does when you do things correctly. Instead, the soap mixture appeared to be finished as is. It was a perfect consistency without going through the gel phase. So I molded it and got...soap.

I haven't been doing this long enough to know what you can and cannot do. But is this an alternative way to making hot process soap, so you don't even need to go through the gel phase? Or was I just really lucky? Thanks!

I am guessing you had mixed in the lye solution since you were going to cook both at the same time. You probably mixed it well enough that it just went on it's merry way to saponification. If you turned on the pot it would be similar to rebatching. Once lye solution is introduced to all the nice fats it will proceed to make soap with or without heat, the same as cp makes soap

I haven't been doing this long enough to know what you can and cannot do. But is this an alternative way to making hot process soap, so you don't even need to go through the gel phase? Or was I just really lucky? Thanks!

Haha. :) Forgetting to turn on the crock pot is the alternative way of making CP soap.

Yep, you unknowingly stumbled right into the joy that is CP soap-making. ;)

By the way- welcome to the forum! :wave:

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back