Can this be right? 20% FO usage rate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought 3 FOs from Fragrance Buddy for the first time. I don’t know why I didn’t look closer at their website, but there were no testing notes whatsoever. For a usage rate for the “Downy April Fresh” it posted the IFRA rates which listed 20% for bar soap! What the heck! Is that correct? There’s nothing printed on the bottle labels for any of the three FOs I received.

I guess I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t post any info at all about their product. I don’t know why I didn’t notice that. I won’t be buying anything from them again.
I've never bought from Fragrance Buddy, but I have bought from Lone Star Candle Supply who also does not have soaping notes or recommended usage rates. They have IFRA info posted for category 9 (soap), but not much else because they just do not have experience making CP soap. When I called to inquire about the higher than expected usage rate, I was told that is how much is actually skin safe, not the recommended amount to use for scent.

Last edited:
I guess I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t post any info at all about their product. I don’t know why I didn’t notice that. I won’t be buying anything from them again.
Then good luck buying from anyone than Nurture Soap since they seem to be the only one that I have purchased from that provides that kind of information on their label. I just checked my fragrance rack...none of the other companies (BrambleBerry, Elements Bath and Body, Be Scented, Shay & Company and Rustic Escentuals list usage rates; BB does mention whether it acceleration or discolors.

It's nice if they post testing notes and/or reviews, but it's not a requirement for me since I test all new FO regardless. It can be tiresome and spendy buying Trial or 1oz bottles since I have to wait to order more if things turn out well, but on the other hand, I don't end up with a bunch of leftover FOs that I can't use. Like the 16oz bottle of Pearberry that I bought four years and turns into concrete. Or the 16oz bottle of Autumn Harvest that discolors to dark brown.

I've never bought from Fragrance Buddy, but I won't buy if there isn't safe usage rate info (looking at you, Midwest Seasalt Company with less than helpful customer service). That said, I have bought from Lone Star Candle Supply (excellent customer service) that do not have soaping notes. They have IFRA info posted for category 9 (soap), but not much else because they just do not have experience making CP soap. When I called to inquire about the higher than expected usage rate, I was told that is how much is actually skin safe, not the recommended amount to use for scent.
Fragrance Buddy does have IFRA rates on the website. It doesn't have soaping notes though. I still prefer FB to Natures Garden.

Yes, I saw the IFRA rates and that’s where I saw the astounding 20% usage rate for bar soap for the FO, “Kudzu”, that I bought.
The thing to remember is that IFRA rates are for safe usage, not recommended usage in the product. In this case I know that I can use it at 6% or about 1 oz PPO. If the IFRA rate was 3%, I wouldn’t use it at a higher rate than that.

Back