Can these lotion bars be helped?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made my usual batch of 12 lotion bars yesterday and ended up with 13 bars (about 35 gms more than I should have had), so I clearly measured something wrong along the way. Trouble is, I don't know which of the four ingredients is the problem! The bars are quite usable, but a tad stickier than usual. My ingredients are 33% beeswax, 33% mango butter, 16.5% coconut oil, and 16.5% meadowfoam oil. Do you think I could re-melt them and add something to balance them out again? Maybe a bit more arrowroot powder? Other ideas? @Zing ?

I've never added a powder to my lotion bars but I think it's worth trying. The Humblebee woman does. Have you used this recipe before? My guess is too much coconut oil which is slow to absorb in my experience. I also do 33/33/33. Maybe you could rework it so that you add more meadowfoam seed oil and less coconut. So jealous of your mmmmeadowfoam seed oil -- didn't fit into my budget this year. Let me know how it goes.

Not sure if you give these away. Most recipients will just be thrilled to get something homemade. For some reason, everyone here goes ga ga over lotion bars which are made in minute -- melt & pour. People! Making soap is HARD and involves science, math, and art and waiting!

Thanks, @Zing . This is my standard recipe that I've been very happy with. Took a lot of tweaking to settle on it. I've not found the coconut oil to be a problem since I started adding the arrowroot. I use arrowroot in all my LBs and found it also adds a silkiness that I like. That's why I thought maybe a titch more might help.

I do sell my bars, so I don't want to sell this batch without fixing the stickiness. I love the simplicity and almost instant gratification of making these, and people love 'em.

Did you consider that you did over pour your ingredients, but short-poured your molds?

I like to let my Lotion Bars cure for a few weeks. Helps with the 'greasiness'.

Did you consider that you did over pour your ingredients, but short-poured your molds?

I like to let my Lotion Bars cure for a few weeks. Helps with the 'greasiness'.
The molds were as full as they could be, so there was definitely a little more mix than usual. I'm hoping curing for a while will help them, but they've not ever felt greasy before even a day later, so something is a little different.

I think beeswax can lean towards tacky if there’s a little too much, creating a bar that feels a bit like a post-it note. I checked the Humblebee & Me website and she describes it as sticky! See below.

“At higher concentrations in makes projects really skiddy and sticky, so we generally don’t want to make beeswax more than 1/3 of a formula (though there are exceptions). I’ve done some experiments with beeswax and liquid oil and beeswax and coconut oil—check those out to see how it works at different concentrations.”

Thanks, @Mobjack Bay . I also found trying some of my earliest formulas that too much beeswax made the bar too hard and less moisturizing. I especially don't like lip balms with a strong beeswax base rather than more oily.

From the feel of this batch of LBs, I suspect it's one of the oils that got increased a bit too much. It's been about 40 hours now, and they're getting better, so I'm optimistic.

I think beeswax can lean towards tacky if there’s a little too much, creating a bar that feels a bit like a post-it note. I checked the Humblebee & Me website and she describes it as sticky! See below.
My first Lotions bars were Beeswax, Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter and were too 'greasy' in the beginning, but better after a nice cure, then later down the road got 'sticky' and drying.

I've since found a new recipe...a little less Beeswax and I replaced the majority of the Butters with Jojoba Oil and Soft Oil and I've been getting really good reviews.

I use arrowroot in my lotion bars and it does help with that sticky feeling. I would recommend remelting one bar and testing before remelting all of them.
Arrowroot is a regular part of my recipe, and I really like the way it makes my bars feel and perform. So I was thinking of doing exactly what you're suggesting, ie, remelt one and add a bit more arrowroot and see how it feels. Great minds think alike! Thank you!

I've never added a powder to my lotion bars but I think it's worth trying. The Humblebee woman does. Have you used this recipe before? My guess is too much coconut oil which is slow to absorb in my experience. I also do 33/33/33. Maybe you could rework it so that you add more meadowfoam seed oil and less coconut. So jealous of your mmmmeadowfoam seed oil -- didn't fit into my budget this year. Let me know how it goes.

Not sure if you give these away. Most recipients will just be thrilled to get something homemade. For some reason, everyone here goes ga ga over lotion bars which are made in minute -- melt & pour. People! Making soap is HARD and involves science, math, and art and waiting!
I love @Zing lotion bar recipe! It's the best, easiest and most reliable recipe ever. Thank you @Zing

I love @Zing lotion bar recipe! It's the best, easiest and most reliable recipe ever. Thank you @Zing
Do you have a new hair do or new glasses or something? Likin' the new look there.
Thanks, but truly, I don't like to re-invent the wheel. All credit goes to other Forum members and Google. Friends go ga ga over these lotion bars and they are so quick and easy to make. I like the simplicity of the 33/33/33 recipe.

The most inexpensive Jojoba Oil I’ve found is a 50% off clearance item. Much to my surprise have found that the difference in shipping between smaller size and next size up was only a few dollars. First I do a partial check-out to determine ship fee on lower ounce amount. Then empty cart add next highest ounce amount and determine shipping costs. Here is clearance jojoba: Clear Jojoba | FNWL

Do you have a new hair do or new glasses or something? Likin' the new look there.
Thanks, but truly, I don't like to re-invent the wheel. All credit goes to other Forum members and Google. Friends go ga ga over these lotion bars and they are so quick and easy to make. I like the simplicity of the 33/33/33 recipe.
Changed my profile picture. Found this lovely flower while walking my dog. And yes completely agree that the Forum members deserve much credit. What I have learned on this site is priceless. Hoping to have enough of my own learning to share as well.

The most inexpensive Jojoba Oil I’ve found is a 50% off clearance item. Much to my surprise have found that the difference in shipping between smaller size and next size up was only a few dollars. First I do a partial check-out to determine ship fee on lower ounce amount. Then empty cart add next highest ounce amount and determine shipping costs. Here is clearance jojoba: Clear Jojoba | FNWL
If you use bigger sizes in anything, Jedwards "Bulk Natural Oils" has great prices. A gallon of reg clear Jojoba is $62.90 right now. They'll size down on some of the more expensive essential oils, 4oz, 8oz.. and theirs is some of the cheapest dead sea salt that's good quality and price (even with shipping to Los Angeles!) that I've come across so far.

If you use bigger sizes in anything, Jedwards "Bulk Natural Oils" has great prices. A gallon of reg clear Jojoba is $62.90 right now. They'll size down on some of the more expensive essential oils, 4oz, 8oz.. and theirs is some of the cheapest dead sea salt that's good quality and price (even with shipping to Los Angeles!) that I've come across so far.
This is from soapers choice

Attachments

• 4070491B-304E-4388-8DEF-68829E0833D6.jpeg
    4070491B-304E-4388-8DEF-68829E0833D6.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back