Can the same flavor oils used for baking be used in lip balms?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I searched the internet using the following search, @ 1st glance the answer to your question is, yes food flavoring can be used in lip balm.

Searched: “Can candy flavoring be used in lip balm"

I'm on a break right now so can't search this forum or Google right now but as I recall making my lip butter earlier this year, it was advised to NOT use alcohol-based flavoring for cooking for lip balms -- but instead to use flavors designed for lip balms OR certain essential oils.
Good luck! I just made my first batch of 100 and love how easy it was and how good it feels!

I like making lip balms myself, and from what I've seen, it super depends. Vanilla extract is big no no because of the alcohol, but I know stevia is often added for sweetness. I know Misscheif gave you a really good resource for flavors that can be used in both both baking and lip balms, but I was assuming you were planning on using what was around the house - like Watkins or McCormick stuff (maybe they sell Lorann's in some grocery stores, I've never heard of it).

I'd say you're better off not doing it with stuff in your cabinets unless you find a resource that says specifically "Yes, the Watkins Almond Imitation Extract will work in lip balms"... because even if you make a single lip balm with that Almond Imitation (since imitation's both taste better and are alcohol free), and it's not good for lip balms, it might seem like it's good at first, but it might have something in that goes bad a month or so down the line - which could be after you've decided to make a large batch, and gosh forbid, sell it.

However, TKB trading has some cool flavors that range from simple and expected like strawberry and vanilla, to flavors like Birthday Cake, Cinnamon Bun, and Caramel, if you were interested in something bakery flavored.

I like MMS Flavor Oils for both quality, price and selection. Their "Honey" flavor is spot on. I've sold a lot of that with raw honey to sweeten the lip balm. They are "lip safe" but you would have to ask them if you can use them for baking. Usually extracts, like vanilla extract, are used in that case. MMS lip balm bases are excellent and well priced too!

Majestic Mountain Sage Lip Solutions

I can't seem to find the answer anywhere so I must be looking in the wrong place or with a wrong search.
Lip balm is anhydrous. You can't even use real honey because it contains water. Alot of flavour oils for baking contain propylene glycol, which is water soluble and cant be used in lip balm. Other flavour oils might contain water or from what ive read in other replies, alcohol, which also can't be used. But i found that the baking brand Dr Oetker has a peppermint flavour oil, that contains rapeseed oil and peppermint extract, so there must be others like it.

Im from Scotland, and im looking for a malt or malted barley flavour oil, and a rootbeer flavour oil. Any idea where i could find this, with delivery to the UK?

Have used both coffee bean oil and coffee bean CO2 for lip balms with great success. Also cardamom essential oil and made a chocolate like balm by using cocoa butter. Adding a bit of shea oil or shea butter is good for winter. Next batch will try adding a tiny bit of dark chocolate.

Back