Can someone share a 'cheap' soap recipe with me.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
I am going to making soap with a nine year old girl soon. She is so excited, but I don't want to waste a lot of money on the oils. Does anyone have a good formulation for making inexpensive soap, without it feeling cheap? I have ample amounts of soybean, safflower, and coconut oil to work with. I don't mind using more costly ones, just not in a large percentage. Any ideas would be great, thanks:)

I would try this;

32% Coconut Oil
30% Crisco (or similar veggie shortening which is mostly hydrogenated soybean oil.)
15% Soybean Oil (Liquid veggie oil)
15% Safflower Oil
8% Canola

Wal-Mart has these ingredients. You might use 5% Castor Oil (available at Wal-Mart in Pharmacy area) and use only 12% Safflower and 5% Canola for a nicer bubblier bar.

Paul :wink:

12 oz lard
4 oz coconut
2 oz soybean

2.1 lye
5.7 liquid

lard is cheap at Wal Mart, you can just get a cube of it to suit your need.

Or I like this recipe for a larger batch:

3lb lard
6.5 oz lye
3 cups water

Perfect! Thank you. I have a bucket of lard also, forgot to mention. I just didn't want to end up with either a rock hard bar of soap with no lather, or a soft ball of mush. But I'm not sharing my jojoba or avacado oil, lol.

For a richer later addd a teaspoon of honey per pound.

You can use granules melted into a syrup, confectioner's sugar or honey at trace.

cheap soap recipe

One pound of pure white soap 5% discount

6 oz. coconut oil
10 oz. olive
2.36 oz. lye
3 oz. water

Simple...sets fast...hard...pure white...glossy finish when wet. One pound cost about $3.25 with ingredients from the store.

Soapmaker says this soaps characteristics are hardness 6.2 Stable lather 5.6 Fluffy lather 5.6 Moisturizing 6.2

Sudsy Bubbles

Cheap soap

Forgot to say do not discount water this much if you plan to use a FO or EO that might seize.

Sudsy Bubbles

Re: cheap soap recipe

Sudsy Bubbles said:

6 oz. coconut oil
10 oz. olive
2.36 oz. lye
3 oz. water

Simple...sets fast...hard...pure white...glossy finish when wet. One pound cost about $3.25 with ingredients from the store.

Soapmaker says this soaps characteristics are hardness 6.2 Stable lather 5.6 Fluffy lather 5.6 Moisturizing 6.2

Sudsy Bubbles

Could you sub the water with milk or would it be a different amount of milk vs water?

Re: cheap soap recipe

dagnukem said:
Sudsy Bubbles said:

6 oz. coconut oil
10 oz. olive
2.36 oz. lye
3 oz. water

Sudsy Bubbles

Could you sub the water with milk or would it be a different amount of milk vs water?

Sub the water for milk 1:1. Milk adds a bit more fat and all kinds of goodies! Never made a batch without using goats milk!!! :D

All 3 batches I've made have had goat milk in it. I just haven't played with recipes that dont specifically call for milk. My son can only drink goat milk so we found someone who raises and milks goats. She gives us a GREAT price and even pasturized the milk I've been making soap with. My son drinks the milk raw. Do you know if it actually makes a big difference between raw and pasturised milk?

That's a pretty good lard recipe! Sub the water for coconut milk for sure, it will give more suds, as will the bit of honey. Let us know how you like it!

On the pure white soap you could use milk but it might not be as white. This recipe is rock hard within hours so you might mix the lye with water then add the same amount of goats milk at trace. It might have to sit a little longer to harden up.

Sudsy Bubbles

Back