Can Someone help me with a recipe??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janice

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here, and new to soapmaking. I'd like a bar with the following ingrediants, can anyone tell me how much of each to use??
Olive, coconut and palm oil (I can't find palm oil anyhow, what would be the closest equivalent??)....glycerin, water and sweet almond oil. And lye, I suppose, although she didn't list it as an ingrediant.
Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Hi there,
I don't CP, but I know www.thesage.com has a calculator you can play around with that will help you determine appropriate qtys. I have made a *few* bathces & found the calculator helpful.

Janice said:
Hi all, I'm new here, and new to soapmaking. I'd like a bar with the following ingrediants, can anyone tell me how much of each to use??
Olive, coconut and palm oil (I can't find palm oil anyhow, what would be the closest equivalent??)....glycerin, water and sweet almond oil. And lye, I suppose, although she didn't list it as an ingrediant.
Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Have you made soap before? Have you done any research on the safety of lye etc?

I second the miller link-LOL. It should be read a few times before your 1st batch. It should answer all of your questions.

People do not list lye on labels because (now I have been corrected for saying this before) it disappears during saphonification. I know disappear is not the right term, but the chemestry changes and for what ever technical reason, it is no longer present.

I am sure someone will pop in behind me & explain that a bit better :wink: . I don't CP, can you tell? I made a dozen batches 6 years ago, bt it wasn't my cup-o-tea. I'd rather just buy it from you all!

Hey Tab, this debate has been going on for year.

The FDA says... if an ingredient was used to make the ending product, to list it.

But alot of people say "well its not in the end product, it evaporates with the water, so we dont have to list it"

I put "sapnofied oils of....."

Thanks all for replies

Hi, I have made soap with lye before, but its this peticular soap that I'm after, because it was sooooooooo nice!!!! And thanks to the reply about "saponified"......thats exactly how it was worded on the label!!! And I didn't realize that shortening was palm oil!!!!

Shortening is shortening.. crisco.
Palm Oil is Palm Oil.. You can sub Palm for tallow, lard, Crisco

Yeah, shortening like Crisco is different than the shortening at Whole Foods. Crisco is made out of soy and other oils (they have recently changed their formulation so I'm not sure what's all in it) but what Whole Foods calls shortening is really 100% palm oil. They aren't the same product.

smellitlikeitis said:

If you do this, please make sure your recalculate your recipe. Different oils have different SAP values.

Irena

soapbuddy said:
smellitlikeitis said:

If you do this, please make sure your recalculate your recipe. Different oils have different SAP values.

Irena

She thought Shortening was Palm.. but my shortening here is Soybean..

smellitlikeitis said:
Hey Tab, this debate has been going on for year.

The FDA says... if an ingredient was used to make the ending product, to list it.

But alot of people say "well its not in the end product, it evaporates with the water, so we dont have to list it"

I put "sapnofied oils of....."

That is how I list ingredients on the back of my label to, S. No bar soap can be made without using lye, period. I think saying "saponified oils of:" is perfectly moral, as, you mentioned, the lye, a base, and the oils, the alkali, get together to form a salt base, called soap. There is no lye left, but by superfatting, one does have a small percentage of oils left over in the soap, ensuring no lye is left intact. Your way is fine in my book, S!
Biggie chemical detergent "soap" companies call "tallow" "sodium tallowate" and that is just fine!

Paul.... :wink:

Is Whole Foods a grocery chain?? I don't think we have it in Canada. But I'll read all the labels on the shortening....Thanks!!!

Yes, Whole Foods is a organic grocery chain in only larger cities in the USA. I bought the Spectrum Shortening there when I first started soaping, and it was 100& palm oil, hydrogenated, but expensive. If you need some in a pinch, it's OK, but go to Columbus Foods and order it much cheaper!

Paul.... :wink:

Shortening

I just checked in our big food store here, and shortening here is a mixture of soybean and palm. But it doesn't say what percentage is what. How can I calculate the mix??? Or is the SAP value close enough??

Back