Can someone help me out here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBV

Reaction score
Was making a batch of brine bars and scented with cedarwood and ylang ylang. As soon as I added the essential oils (at light trace) there appeared white spots. I stirred quickly and poured the first bar (not a success) so I began labelling out the rest. Before I finished pedalling the mix was a medium gel consistency, and before I had finished tidying up the bars with a scraper they were solid. The photos below show the white spots.
20200129_031007.jpg
20200129_031015.jpg

Ingredients - oils are olive, beef tallow, coconut, castor. Salt and lye were well dissolved. This is the second batch I made today, although with different scents. The lavender one showed no problem. This happened the moment I added the fragrance.

I looked up those EOs and it does say that Ylang Ylang causes acceleration in CP soap.

I don't know enough to know if acceleration also will cause the white spots.

Hopefully, someone else will weigh in on those.

Unfortunately, being a brine bar, blending was not an option. Once trace is reached, you have to move fast with brine. I'll see how it goes once it has set. Annoying tho, as ylang ylang is one of the more affordable floral scents. Any other ideas?

Unfortunately, being a brine bar, blending was not an option. Once trace is reached, you have to move fast with brine. I'll see how it goes once it has set. Annoying tho, as ylang ylang is one of the more affordable floral scents. Any other ideas?
Maybe save the ylang ylang for another recipe, if you don't want to HP that soap.

It's not that easy to HP a brine soap though...

Hopefully it's still OK even with the spots :)

I have had good luck with adding tough ricing fragrances to the oils and blending before adding lye - the batter still accelerates like crazy but I don't get ricing this way. I have not tried an accelerating fragrance in a salty batch, but it's worth a try. Fortunately it's just an aesthetic issue and the soap will be fine. You meant to have a speckled soap, right? ;)

Interestingly, the soap is solid, the batch I made just before is still slightly soft. At this stage I can't see any of the lumps so it should be ok. Will cut open a bar to see what it is like inside. Thanks for the help. I will post some photos of what it is like inside when I do it.

Back