Can raw ingredients serves as fragrances ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oxbow

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to do a soap with a scent of tiramisu. Problem : that scent does not exists in Europe.
A tiramisu is a confection and has basically 4 different elements : chocolate, coffee, amaretto (an alcoholic drink), mascarpone (an Italian cheese).
So, what I am trying to do is to combine fragrances oils of coffee, chocolate, etc. to replicate the scent.

I miss two fragrance oils I cannot find : mascarpone and amaretto. I just found on youtube a soap made with mascarpone :

It seems to works ! I wondered if I put real mascarpone like this, it could be a way to have a mascarpone scent ?

Basically my question is : Can I replace a fragrance oil with the real raw ingredient ? By example adding real Amaretto alcohol in my soap because I have no Amaretto fragrance oil ?
Or the soap basically will remove these "raw scents" ? Thanks !

I doubt using the real cheese will give you the smell as I've use milk and butter(milk fat) in my soap and it doesn't smelled creamy at all. As for alcohol, alcohol content can make soap batter seize so not ideal for lye soap making. Unless you use a tiny amount and work fast but the the lye will just eat everything.

It's rare that raw ingredient scents will remain in soap - with the reaction of the lye to the oils, most fragrances die off. I have heard that cocoa butter can keep it's scent somewhat, but i don't use unrefined so cannot say for sure. I would do what @AliOop suggests and blend up some fragrance oils to suit. You can use some ingredients (to add to the appeal of soap) that are sympathetic to your theme: brewed coffee as the lye water, cocoa powder for brown colour etc.

I would think if you used some almond scent that would at least approximate the amaretto. I also found this: Amaretto Fragrance Oil. I just read that you are in Europe, but maybe someone would ship from the U.S.?

Back