Can Palm Oil be substituted for Palm Kernel Flakes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Clarice, palm oil and PKO are two completely different fats, although from the same tree, they each are derived from different parts of it. Palm oil is much like tallow and will give you a hard bar with very little lather, while PKO is much like coconut oil and will give you lots of bubbly lather (and hardness, too).

IrishLass :)

The fatty acids profiles of Palm and PKO are different as night and day.

Bookmark this page: http://www.lovinsoap.com/oils-chart/

chart portion-1-1.jpg

PKO is more like coconut oil, and some find it drying over 20%. Palm oil will make a nice soap and is used at higher percentages so you will be making lovely soap with the palm you have coming. Just add some coconut and any other oils of your choosing.

Thank you so much. You have all added to my understanding thanks!!!

Two last Qs -

Does PKO always come in flakes - or is that just a convenience?

Is Red Palm Oil the same as Palm oil - perhaps without bleaching?

Some people call red palm oil "virgin palm oil" because it is unrefined. It is red because of lycopene and beta carotene, like tomatoes and carrots. Refined palm oil is, as you know, almost colorless.

If one were to use palm oil in cooking, red is best because the "white" has already lost the antioxidants it originally contained.

From what I've gathered, palm kernel oil is solid at room temperature (yours, not mine lol) so I'm guessing the flakes are for convenience, so you won't need to have at it with something sharp.

PKO is more like coconut oil, and some find it drying over 20%. Palm oil will make a nice soap and is used at higher percentages so you will be making lovely soap with the palm you have coming. Just add some coconut and any other oils of your choosing.

So if I have a shampoo bar that asks for PKO flakes, could I substitute CO?

Also - I see a PKO in a jar - says "cold pressed" on Amazon - is this is the same as the flakes, but just not "flaked"?

Thank you all sooooooooo much!

I think @Clarice actually has PKO coming, not palm. I think that's what her 'head palm' statement meant.

Also - I see a PKO in a jar - says "cold pressed" on Amazon - is this is the same as the flakes, but just not "flaked"?

Cold pressed is telling you how they extracted the oil (versus a solvent or some other way), not how they jarred it. :) Might be flakes and might not, I'm not sure because I don't like PKO's FA profile so I don't use it. Too much lauric and myristic for me, and very similar to usually cheaper coconut oil.

You guys are gonna laffffff

OK - so I first did not grasp the difference between PKO and PO

THEN, I got all excited about a buy 2 get 1 free on Amazon

TODAY - it came, and it was Coconut oil - not ANY KIND OF PALM!!!!

:beatinghead::beatinghead::beatinghead:

I seriously should never order anything before I have protein in the morning

If you make the shampoo bar, all advice on SMF is to use it on your body only -- if you value your hair.

You guys are gonna laffffff

OK - so I first did not grasp the difference between PKO and PO

THEN, I got all excited about a buy 2 get 1 free on Amazon

TODAY - it came, and it was Coconut oil - not ANY KIND OF PALM!!!!

:beatinghead::beatinghead::beatinghead:

I seriously should never order anything before I have protein in the morning
Well, problem solved :)

Latest posts

Back