can melt and pour make "pretty soaps"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read that MP sweats. If it is attracting water from the air, does the soap start dissolving/melting when it sweats? Will it be a problem to store on a shelf long term unless I wrap it in plastic?

Also, does MP need time to dry out after cooling, and does it benefit from curing like CP?
I'm no MP expert but I don't think it needs a cure time like CP. I think it does benefit from a bit of time to dry a bit and to "set" - maybe like a week? But IMO it's fine to use right away - it just might melt away faster.

You don't need to seal it in plastic, assuming you live in a house with heat or air. It tends to sweat if you're outside at a craft show on a nice, warm humid day. I would store in something just b/c dust and hair like to adhere to soap. But you could put it in a drawer, or put all of the bars in a cardboard box until you need them.

I just read that MP sweats. If it is attracting water from the air, does the soap start dissolving/melting when it sweats? Will it be a problem to store on a shelf long term unless I wrap it in plastic? Also, does MP need time to dry out after cooling, and does it benefit from curing like CP?
As I recall, it does need a bit of dry time after cooling. Any beads of sweat can be gently blotted up with a paper towel or cutip. It is fully saponified soap when you get it so it requires no cure time. But, as I understand it, you do need to shrink wrap it and label before storing. Unless you're going to use it right away. Lovely soap, really.

Here's a tutorial for Basic Melt & Pour Soap

What about soap dough? You could do the mixing of the soap dough, and then she could use the soap dough to model, shape and form soaps using different molds, cookie cutters, etc. Two years ago I did a soapmaking presentation for a group, and brought soap dough for them to shape and form and their own soaps to take home. I've had several of the moms in that group reach out to me about making soap dough sets for their kids.

I've barely dabbled with M&P, but I have seen some gorgeous ones over the years. This is my proudest little dabble.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1605917827181.jpg
    FB_IMG_1605917827181.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 9
I’m still experimenting, but one of the favorites so far is:
120g Walmart animal fat shortening 40%
120g olive oil 40%
60g coconut oil 20%
108g goat milk
41g lye
I calculated the truer super fat recently. With the extra rich goat milk from dwarf goats and 99%pure NaOH it had a 10% super fat. Almost double the 5% intended SF.
Most of my recipes have been similar to this one, just using different % CO, OO, and shortening to figure out what we like.

Another I’m trying now is:
254g lard 75%
85g coconut oil 25%
99g GM
48g lye
5%intended SF. The GM adds more.

I’m still experimenting, but one of the favorites so far is:
120g Walmart animal fat shortening 40%
120g olive oil 40%
60g coconut oil 20%
108g goat milk
41g lye
I calculated the truer super fat recently. With the extra rich goat milk from dwarf goats and 99%pure NaOH it had a 10% super fat. Almost double the 5% intended SF.
Most of my recipes have been similar to this one, just using different % CO, OO, and shortening to figure out what we like.

Another I’m trying now is:
254g lard 75%
85g coconut oil 25%
99g GM
48g lye
5%intended SF. The GM adds more.
I'm not sure what the fatty acid profile of the animal shortening is, so I can't speak to the first one.
The second one looks pretty good. The one thing I would caution is that you really don't want your liquid above 2:1 liquid:lye, or 33%lye concentration, or 30% liquid to oils, whichever measurement your heart desires. And, that might even be too high with the sugars in the milk, so I would make a small batch and see how it goes before making more. Liquid makes the dough sticky, and sugar even more so, so you really want just enough to make it moldable but not much more.

Latest posts

Back