Can I use this brand of EOs for cold process soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received a gift of Tisserand Aromatherapy 100% natural pure essential oils. The only information on the website and box are for aromatherapy, bath water, etc. I make cold process soap and curious if I can use these?

If you're asking about the brand, Tisserand is a reputable source of quality EOs. Yes, they could be used in soap. I am going to guess these EOs are pretty expensive, however, so I'd be more inclined to use his EOs for special applications (perfume, lotion, etc.) rather than in soap.

There's a mistaken notion that only a few drops of EOs are needed to scent a batch of soap. To get any kind of lasting, decently strong fragrance, you need more than that. Often quite a bit more. 3% ppo is a common dosage rate to get a light to moderate scent in soap. That translates to 0.5 ounce of scent per 16 oz of oils (or 15 grams scent per 500 grams of oils).

You also need to know something about the particular EOs you want to use. Some EOs are not skin safe at even very small percentages, so that 3% ppo might be an unsafe dosage. Others are "generally recognized as safe" and can be used at higher percentages.

Thank you! This is all good to know. I've long been using Bramble Berry EOs in my soap and use their calculator and depending on the EO, it works out to 0.5 to 1 ounce of EO per pound of oils. And yes, after a disastrous situation with cinnamon EO soap, I most definitely do my research now! Thanks again for getting back to me and Happy New Year!

Latest posts

Back