Can i use my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devivi

Reaction score
My very first batch of soap I stupidly used an essential oil that I normally put in my wax warmer to scent my soap. My soap has since cured long enough for use but I’m nervous to use it because the scent is most likely not skin safe. I have done better research now but am also sticking to unscented soaps for the time anyways.

This is the essential oil that i used, and only about 8 grams (very small batch of soap) was used in the making.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MAINSTAYS-ESSENTIAL-OIL-LEMONGRASS-1oz-Mainstays/859985204
To the more expert soap makers out there do you think i could get away with using some of my soap without causing harm to my skin? I’d like to see how my soap feels and give it a test run as I continue to craft my recipe. Just not at the risk of burning or irritating my skin

Thank you!

Attachments

• 9366E2A7-D68F-4CC1-8B8C-ABB7AC1393C0.png
    9366E2A7-D68F-4CC1-8B8C-ABB7AC1393C0.png
    375.8 KB · Views: 11
If only for personal use you can try it and see if you have any reaction. It states essential oil blend. I would just be sure it’s only essential oils.

My very first batch of soap I stupidly used an essential oil that I normally put in my wax warmer to scent my soap. My soap has since cured long enough for use but I’m nervous to use it because the scent is most likely not skin safe. I have done better research now but am also sticking to unscented soaps for the time anyways.

This is the essential oil that i used, and only about 8 grams (very small batch of soap) was used in the making.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/MAINSTAYS-ESSENTIAL-OIL-LEMONGRASS-1oz-Mainstays/859985204
To the more expert soap makers out there do you think i could get away with using some of my soap without causing harm to my skin? I’d like to see how my soap feels and give it a test run as I continue to craft my recipe. Just not at the risk of burning or irritating my skin

Thank you!

How big was your batch of soap? You used 8 grams in how much oil? Did you use a safety usage chart?

What is the viscosity of the essential oil? Is it as thin as water? The label says it's an essential oil BLEND....so blended with what? Oil?

One fact; pure lemongrass is a skin irritant, just because the label states that, isn't proof that the product contains other irritating ingredients. There is a recommended usage rate for soap, although there are some people who are particularly sensitive to it and can't use it.

Honestly, if I had done what you did, (and unless I really over did the lemongrass), I would try the soap on some thick skin - like the top of my forearm. Wait a day and see how it reacts. The product is supposed to be safe enough to breathe into your lungs with their delicate mucous membranes. So rubbing a wash off product on my skin for a minute or two doesn't scare me.

How big was your batch of soap? You used 8 grams in how much oil? Did you use a safety usage chart?

What is the viscosity of the essential oil? Is it as thin as water? The label says it's an essential oil BLEND....so blended with what? Oil?

One fact; pure lemongrass is a skin irritant, just because the label states that, isn't proof that the product contains other irritating ingredients. There is a recommended usage rate for soap, although there are some people who are particularly sensitive to it and can't use it.

Honestly, if I had done what you did, (and unless I really over did the lemongrass), I would try the soap on some thick skin - like the top of my forearm. Wait a day and see how it reacts. The product is supposed to be safe enough to breathe into your lungs with their delicate mucous membranes. So rubbing a wash off product on my skin for a minute or two doesn't scare me.

I believe the batch included 5 ounces of oils (coconut, olive and sunflower)
I used the brambleberry chart to figure out how much scent to use and went with the “light fragrance” option if I remember correctly.
The essential oil blend reminds me of melted coconut oil in viscosity. But i could not find on the label what it is mixed with but the label does state that it is an eye and skin irritant

I believe the batch included 5 ounces of oils (coconut, olive and sunflower)
I used the brambleberry chart to figure out how much scent to use and went with the “light fragrance” option if I remember correctly.
The essential oil blend reminds me of melted coconut oil in viscosity. But i could not find on the label what it is mixed with but the label does state that it is an eye and skin irritant

So 15 ounces of oil total?

I see that Mainstays essential oil blends ALL say skin and eye irritant - but all essential oils ARE skin and eye irritants so I'm not at all surprised the bottle says that.

Again, if it's safe to breathe into your nose, airway and lungs, then I don't see a problem using it to wash the outside of your body. (Contrary to what the internet says, your skin does not absorb everything you put on it - the integumentary system literally has the goal of working from the inside to the outside - pushing out, and keeping out molecules that don't fit into the protein doorways of the cells. (I got an B in college anatomy)

It's your call, and I support what ever your are comfortable with.

So 15 ounces of oil total?

I see that Mainstays essential oil blends ALL say skin and eye irritant - but all essential oils ARE skin and eye irritants so I'm not at all surprised the bottle says that.

Again, if it's safe to breathe into your nose, airway and lungs, then I don't see a problem using it to wash the outside of your body. (Contrary to what the internet says, your skin does not absorb everything you put on it - the integumentary system literally has the goal of working from the inside to the outside - pushing out, and keeping out molecules that don't fit into the protein doorways of the cells. (I got an B in college anatomy)

It's your call, and I support what ever your are comfortable with.
No not 15 ounces, just 5 ounces total. It was a very tiny batch
I think i will give it a try for maybe hand washing soap for a few days and see how it goes i just want to see how i like my oil ratio and the way the soap feels
Thank goodness I didn’t give away any pieces of the soap to family like they wanted me too!

Attachments

• EEB84E5D-685E-4CD4-AAFC-68B233765B90.jpeg
    EEB84E5D-685E-4CD4-AAFC-68B233765B90.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
Their website product description says its listed as a cleaning product, and specifically lists the California Right To Know Act. And it has a MSDS link that goes nowhere.

I wouldnt use it. Maybe grind it up and put it in a sachet.

Their website product description says its listed as a cleaning product, and specifically lists the California Right To Know Act. And it has a MSDS link that goes nowhere.

I wouldnt use it. Maybe grind it up and put it in a sachet.

I don't see that. It, and the bottle say specifically aromatherapy use only.

However, I followed your lead and got to the ingredient list.....

To the OP; here's the ingredient list:

Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, 111-90-0, Intentionally added Non Fragrance, Carrier
Propanol, 1(or 2)-(2-methoxymethylethoxy)-, acetate, 88917-22-0, Intentionally added Non Fragrance, Carrier
Citral, 5392-40-5, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance
D-Limonene, 5989-27-5, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance
.beta.-Pinene, 127-91-3, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance
(-)-pin-2(3)-ene, 7785-26-4, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance
Citronellol, 106-22-9, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance
Genaniol, 106-24-1, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance
Citronellal, 106-23-0, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance 1-Oxaspiro[4.5]deca-3,6-diene,2,7-dimethyl-10-(1-methylethyl)-,89079-92-5, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance

Here's what the European Union says about the first ingredient (Using them because they're often more on top of things)
  1. the use of DEGEE as a solvent in cosmetic products in a concentration up to 10% in rinse-off products does not pose a risk to the health of the consumer.
  2. the use of DEGEE as a solvent in cosmetic products in a concentration up to 5.5% in leave-on products does pose a risk to the health of the consumer.
And propanol; on EWG's site is rated a 2 EWG Skin Deep® | What is PROPANOL

The other ingredients are typical constituents found in many essential oils.

HOWEVER: I went to BB fragrance calculator and found that when making 5 total ounces of soap, the recommended amount of lemongrass essential oil is actually 7.05 or less. So your soap has a little more than recommend. Is it a problem? I don't know.

How accurate is your scale? Without a scale that accurately measures very small amounts, like a jewelers scale, making a batch that creates a single bar of soap can lead to inaccurate measurements.

I'd be more concerned that there is a possibility of that than the EO blend.

I highly recommend you do a zap test prior to trying out the soap on bare skin.

Also, I would like to discourage the use of glass vessels when making soap. Lye etches glass and over time it can shatter, usually at the most inopportune time. Soap batter (or Raw Soap) contains lye, and to get that very smooth looking soap you have sitting in the little glass custard cup, you obviously poured raw soap into it, then let it set up in the glass.

You can use washed margarine tubs as molds, or pretty much anything from your recycle bin that is plastic as long as the recycle code is #2 or #5, but not metal & not glass.

How accurate is your scale? Without a scale that accurately measures very small amounts, like a jewelers scale, making a batch that creates a single bar of soap can lead to inaccurate measurements.

Also, I would like to discourage the use of glass vessels when making soap. Lye etches glass and over time it can shatter, usually at the most inopportune time. Soap batter (or Raw Soap) contains lye, and to get that very smooth looking soap you have sitting in the little glass custard cup, you obviously poured raw soap into it, then let it set up in the glass.

You can use washed margarine tubs as molds, or pretty much anything from your recycle bin that is plastic as long as the recycle code is #2 or #5, but not metal & not glass.
I have a bakers scale that can measure down to .01 of an ounce not sure the exact scaling to grams for that but i felt comfortable
I made a small batch in the pyrex container because i had incredibly limited supplies due to starting during Covid lockdown
I yave since

Sorry got cut off

I have since been able to purchase larger quantities of ingredients and i now have 4 large silicone molds in wooden blocks that my more recent products have been made in

My first batch was not made the best based on wanting to get my feet wet as quick as possible because Covid boredom was hitting hard
I’ve learned much more about quality of supplies, safe scents and colorants but thank you for the concern

Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, 111-90-0, Intentionally added Non Fragrance, Carrier
Propanol, 1(or 2)-(2-methoxymethylethoxy)-, acetate, 88917-22-0, Intentionally added Non Fragrance, Carrier
Citronellal, 106-23-0, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance 1-Oxaspiro[4.5]deca-3,6-diene,2,7-dimethyl-10-(1-methylethyl)-,89079-92-5, Intentionally added Fragrance, Fragrance

Here's what the European Union says about the first ingredient (Using them because they're often more on top of things)
  1. the use of DEGEE as a solvent in cosmetic products in a concentration up to 10% in rinse-off products does not pose a risk to the health of the consumer.
  2. the use of DEGEE as a solvent in cosmetic products in a concentration up to 5.5% in leave-on products does pose a risk to the health of the consumer.

HOWEVER: I went to BB fragrance calculator and found that when making 5 total ounces of soap, the recommended amount of lemongrass essential oil is actually 7.05 or less. So your soap has a little more than recommend. Is it a problem? I don't know.
My total soap size was above 5 ounces though i had roughly 5 ounces of oil
Would have to find my original notes to remember exact amounts
But thank you for your research

I am sorry, I only viewed page 1 of 2 of that document.

I have several Mainstays EO's and they ALL have weird stuff with super long names in them. If it were me I'd use the soap, if it makes your skin act up either trash it or use for laundry soap on not-so-nice clothing. All the soap I make that doesn't turn out for whatever reason goes into the washing machine.

Back