can I use mica's? Oxides?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Quick melt and pour question - I"m a formerly only CP/HP girl so this is one of my first foray's into M&P.

I have my base. Can I add mica's for colour? Oxide's? the liquid stuff from Michaels?

Cheers
Deb

Yes you sure can color with oxides and micas.
I find that if you mix them in a small amount of glycerin before adding them they will incorporate better.
I'm not sure about Michaels colors I've never used them.

The liquid colors will most likely bleed in m&p soaps. In my experience, micas and oxides won't bleed, but the Michael's by me doesn't carry any - I have to order them online.

I haven't tried this yet but a friend told me recently that she tried to use the craft store dyes recently and it did not turn out good. The color ended up fading and bleeding a lot, according to her. I think she's using those powders you get from TkB trading now.

micas and oxides!!! i used the craft store liquid colors when i first started. they looked great for about a week. then my cute purple lilac soap turned gray. :0(

i used to mix the micas with water and heat in microwave until someone on this forum mentioned mixing with a small amount of alcohol before adding to hot soap. this works great. Thanks guys!!!!

lara

Latest posts

Back