Can I stir with this hand powered blender?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesenoodle

Reaction score
Or will too much air be introduced into the soap?

SO-04-042-beater-side.ashx

OMG! I remember using a blender like that when I was a kid. I didn't know they still made them. :lol:

Just my opinion but I don't think it would produce too much air in the batch since it will be operated by muscle power. I don't think you could blend it fast enough. However, it would probably be like making whipped soap if some air is whipped in so I say give it a try.

I can't imagine using anything other than my trusty Braun stickblender, so I'm very curious about your medieval device. Give it a try and report back.

I think it will intro air depending on the depth of your soap. If any of the beater part is above the level of the soap you will probably get air in it. But it c would also depend on how fast you operate it ...... I can get one moving fast enough to whip eggs or whatever, which is intentionally getting air into the mix. (The gearing makes them move pretty fast, Hazel)

These are made to whip eggs and other food products which adds air into the mix, so I'm sure it would do the same for soap. Not saying you can't use it, but I wouldn't expect the same result as with a stick blender.

But it wouldn't add as much air as a stick blender. Plus soap batter is a little heavier than eggs. I don't think it would be a problem because if it does add some air, it's going to be like whipped soap.

eta: I didn't see that xyxoxy had already replied. :oops:

I would rather use it for whipped cream.
It makes a lot of airbubbles.

If it is very old, it is not made of stainless steel, some of them were made with zinc and tin.
I would'nt use it for soap.

Good points about the metal. I might just use a wooden spoon. It'll be work but the idea of avoiding electricity to make soap is cool. Hopefully it won't be lumpy if I'm persistent.

Be careful about using a wooden spoon. Make sure you never use it again for anything but soap unless you like the taste of lye. And in time it may actually eat away the wood. I have some plastic spoons that look like wood that I use for soaping, but I avoid using wood. While we are making a more natural type of soap, my recipes anyway, are not the same as those my grandmother made, so I don't feel at all bad about using modern equipment for modern natural soap.

Back