Can I sprinkle tiny bits of dried coconut on top of my CP soap after I poured it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will leave icky bits in the tub or shower.

In the right conditions, it might get moldy.

I've done it and had no problems. I wouldn't do a heavy coating, though. I think mine was dried coconut from an Indian grocery, so not shredded coconut (which usually has added sugar) and not as fine as coconut flour.

Thank you both. This one is dried flakes, no added sugar, it's actually from the soaping website, I just didn't know if it would turn brown or ugly on top

This doesn't help with the bunging up the pipes issue (which I don't worry about), but I often use dessicated coconut in my 100% coconut oil (with 20% super fat) and coconut water soap. I mix some in for a bit of exfoliation and sprinkle some on top. I have a bar that I made over two years ago and it is as snowy white as the day it was made, no sign of brown specks or mould. It is my favourite soap. Only problem with it is that coconut oil seems to dissolve very quickly in water so it doesn't last as long as mixed oil soaps, despite being as hard as a rock. I can unmould it on the day it's made if I make it in the morning.

This doesn't help with the bunging up the pipes issue (which I don't worry about), but I often use dessicated coconut in my 100% coconut oil (with 20% super fat) and coconut water soap. I mix some in for a bit of exfoliation and sprinkle some on top. I have a bar that I made over two years ago and it is as snowy white as the day it was made, no sign of brown specks or mould. It is my favourite soap. Only problem with it is that coconut oil seems to dissolve very quickly in water so it doesn't last as long as mixed oil soaps, despite being as hard as a rock. I can unmould it on the day it's made if I make it in the morning.
Julia I have done this too - added very finely desiccated coconut into the soap batter. I really liked it! I used it as a hand soap at the kitchen sink and it was good having a bit of extra scrub.

Latest posts

Back