Can I save this lard soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
I made a batch of lard soap and technically, I think the soap came out okay. It's a nice consistency after curing for four weeks.

The problem is that, when I smell it there is a weird, kinda stale lard undertone to it.

When I made the soap initially, I kinda panicked because it REALLY smelled of lard, so i put in more grapefruit f/o. So now it smells like GRAPEFRUIT! + faint undertone of lard.

It's not horrible, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever run into this and if there is a fix to get rid of that faint lard scent.

I'm thinking of maybe rebatching it and adding another f/o, but if it won't get rid of that subtle lard scent then I'll just be throwing good money after bad.

I hate the idea of waste, and I'm not sure if I'm just really sensitive to smell. I wonder if my local shelter might want it....it's not bad soap, but am I a jerk to try to give away soap with a faint lard scent?

Any ideas?

You can re-batch it. However, you may still be able to pick up the smell of the lard. Your nose may just be more sensitive to the smell. Another thing that can cause it to smell a bit more piggy is heating it too much when making the soap. I heat it just enough to have it all most all melted then take off the heat and stir until completely melted, then add my liquid oils.

You can re-batch it. However, you may still be able to pick up the smell of the lard. Your nose may just be more sensitive to the smell. Another thing that can cause it to smell a bit more piggy is heating it too much when making the soap. I heat it just enough to have it all most all melted then take off the heat and stir until completely melted, then add my liquid oils.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may try to rebatch a small amount and see if that works. But yeah, my nose is a little sensitive so I can still smell it :(

Latest posts

Back