Can I save this batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I made 80 ounces of cold process over the weekend with Lavender essential oil.

The soap has a wet look and there is puddles of oil sitting on top of the loaf. That's when I realized I used too much oil. I used 4 ounces of oil for this batch.

Anyway to save this batch or just trash it?

That’s 5% of your batch, which shouldn’t be too much depending on the IFRA recommendation for your particular EO. Absorb the excess oil with paper towels and let the soap sit. As long as it doesn’t zap you should be fine.

I would just let the soap sit for a few days. It will generally reabsorb. Why are you making such large batches of soap. That's a lot as a new person and a lot of waste if something goes wrong. I make that size batch but I sell. If you're sure it's EO and not something else going on you could wipe it off. But it shouldn't have puddles from that. I use 6% in my soaps and don't have a problem.

I don't understand. I always make 16 ounce batches and the head of my stick blender has plenty of room to be submerged. Maybe you need a smaller mixing bowl.

Yes perhaps. Although I have a pot that I specifically purchased for this project.

Yes perhaps. Although I have a pot that I specifically purchased for this project.

I use plastic buckets or small pitchers. I make 16 oz batches to test and use 4 cup plastic measuring cups (1.00) . Stickblender works just fine. You can make batches that big, but it's much less expensive when things go wrong.

True, I'm getting close to 10 batches this size and this is the 1st that I'm not too happy with.

And, there's also the chance you'll have a ton of soap and not even like it after cure. Especially when just starting out. I donated at least 30 lbs of soap when I first started out. I made small batches but lots of them. I had so much soap around and they were okay but it took me a year to find exactly what I like and disliked. I tried all kinds of oils/butters etc...my recipes are pretty basic and good.

Last edited:
And, there's also the chance you'll have a ton of soap and not even like it after cure. Especially when just starting out. I donated at least 30 lbs of soap when I first started out. I made small batches but lots of them. I had so much soap around and they were okay but it took me a year to find exactly what I like and disliked. I tried all kinds of oils/butters etc...my recipes are pretty basic and good.

Planning on having a lot of clean family and friends this holiday season!
LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although several on here have said it would be fine after cure or will reabsorb, I have had this happen a couple of times and did not find that to be true. It just never made a usable bar even after a six week cure. It happened once when I used an essential oil made by Simple Serenity that I purchased from Michael's Crafts. I had high hopes for this line as it had several varieties and they were reasonably priced. It started ricing as soon as added to the batter and ended up just like the batch you described. This batch as well as the other experience both ended up in the trash. I am not of an extensive experience level and there are folks on here far more experienced than me, but that is how it worked out for me. Best of luck with it and I would try all these suggestions before dumping it out.

Maybe you need a taller, less shallow kind of mixing bowl. A short squat bowl needs more volume in order for the SB to submerge, but a tall thinner bowl needs less volume for a SB to submerge. I would look into finding a taller thinner mixing bowl in order to make smaller batches of soap.

I, too have had fragrance oils or essential oils re-absorb after a few days, but also once or twice the expected re-absorption did not happen. Only time will tell if it will re-absorb. The two times I didn't get re-absorption I had to make the decision of what to do with the soap. The first time, I tossed it as a total failure. The second time, I attempted to re-batch, which worked out, but by then I had more experience and a better idea of what had gone wrong.

Also, as a point of interest, I did this with a huge batch once too, and with a very strong fragrance that I had never used before. I have learned not to make large batches with a new-to-me fragrance. It leaked horribly. I hated the fragrance, too. Well, I cut all the soap and it just kept on leaking. So I stacked them all in a large plastic mixing bowl on top of each other and set it to 're-absorb' (or whatever it might do) in the upstairs bathroom because I couldn't tolerate the smell in the main part of the house. It took a long time to re-absorb. I think I left it there for at least 2 or 3 months. Some probably evaporated, as well, of course. Anyway, I still couldn't stand the smell. It was so strong and spicy sweet, just not to my liking. That's the batch I rebatched. There was so much of it, that it seemed like I was re-batching it forever, but I really learned my lesson about making large batches of soap with an ingredient (this particular fragrance) that I had no clue if I would like. Not only did I re-batch, I also used some of it for confettti soap, AND I also salted out some of it. It was just too large a batch.

Latest posts

Back