Quantcast

Can I restart my week?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TahoeBathCo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it’s only Tuesday. And yes I want to restart my week.

was super excited to start my week yesterday with a beautiful wood grain soap to only realize AFTER I poured into my mold that I forgot 14 oz of coconut oil that was in my recipe. A total waste!

Shook that off and kept going. Onto second batch. My oatmeal and honey soap. Poured it and it was so pretty! INLY to my demise, I woke up to this! 🤦🏻‍♀️😫.

can I start over? Please?

Attachments

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Oh no! :eek: I hate when that happens! On a more positive note, if you have a planer, it's possible to make your oatmeal honey soap quite presentable.

How do you add your honey to your batch? I ask, because I have a surefire way of adding it that prevents overheating from ever occurring: dilute it with just enough water to thin it out a little and add it directly to your room temp lye solution. A fellow soaper gave me that tip years ago and it has never failed me yet. It so powerfully prevents overheating that I actually have to CPOP my honey soap to get it to gel completely.

IrishLass :)

TahoeBathCo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added it to my oils. I will try your suggestion next time. After thinking about it, I may be able to save most of the soap if I cut it differently. It’s still soft due to high olive oil content so hopefully tomorrow will be the day I find out if it’s salvageable.

This is the underneath of my soap. Carmelized/burnt honey. Should I rebatch?

Attachments

sarahmarah

Reaction score
Oh no! :eek: I hate when that happens! On a more positive note, if you have a planer, it's possible to make your oatmeal honey soap quite presentable.

How do you add your honey to your batch? I ask, because I have a surefire way of adding it that prevents overheating from ever occurring: dilute it with just enough water to thin it out a little and add it directly to your room temp lye solution. A fellow soaper gave me that tip years ago and it has never failed me yet. It so powerfully prevents overheating that I actually have to CPOP my honey soap to get it to gel completely.

Does your lye solution turn red when you do that? If so does it effect your color very much?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The lye turns a dark burnt orange color, but my finished soap turns out a nice honey color, as shown below. My below batch contains 2 tablespoons honey ppo (mixed into room temp lye solution), and the soap has been fully gelled:

IMG_3185HoneyBeeswaxSoapII640.JPG

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I added it to my oils. I will try your suggestion next time. After thinking about it, I may be able to save most of the soap if I cut it differently. It’s still soft due to high olive oil content so hopefully tomorrow will be the day I find out if it’s salvageable.

This is the underneath of my soap. Carmelized/burnt honey. Should I rebatch?
If it were my soap, I would rebatch it. For what it's worth, if you mix the honey into the lye in your future batches, those honey spots on the bottom of your soap will be a thing of the past.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
Have you ever tried powdered honey? Adding it to your oil instead of the lye water.

PieBorg

Reaction score
@IrishLass I can't even put into words how jealous I am of your beveling! I hope you kneel down and thank the Soap Gods for shining their light on you (instead of cursing them, like I do lol!)

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@IrishLass I can't even put into words how jealous I am of your beveling! I hope you kneel down and thank the Soap Gods for shining their light on you (instead of cursing them, like I do lol!)
If you get yourself one of these, you will curse no more. That's the awesome tool I use for beveling. :)

PieBorg

Reaction score
Thx, @IrishLass That's the one I wanted, but the one I got has just a flat cutter for beveling and doesn't make the pretty edges you get with yours. I'm gonna have to be a really good girl for the rest of the year and hope Santa will trick me out lol!

Jillyb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it’s only Tuesday. And yes I want to restart my week.

was super excited to start my week yesterday with a beautiful wood grain soap to only realize AFTER I poured into my mold that I forgot 14 oz of coconut oil that was in my recipe. A total waste!

Shook that off and kept going. Onto second batch. My oatmeal and honey soap. Poured it and it was so pretty! INLY to my demise, I woke up to this! 🤦🏻‍♀️😫.

can I start over? Please?
Oh my.. yes please hit rewind and start again..

Latest posts