Can I rebatch this soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys hope you are having a great soaping day. Again another problem. Four days ago I made a batch of cucumber soap and when I put it to gel in the oven overnight it came out wrinkled. This morning I tried to remove the wrinkles with my soap cutter and its so hard it can’t be cut through. I also added two teaspoons of sugar to the recipe I used and it’s clear I also put too much titanium dioxide in the batter it’s more white than green. Can I rebatch this batch of soap?

Attachments

• FCD9302C-4F44-42F9-9436-B4D610DE6DA8.jpeg
    FCD9302C-4F44-42F9-9436-B4D610DE6DA8.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 12
Of course you can but ask yourself what you hope to accomplish by rebatching. Rebatch will be rustic and rough looking, often less attractive then the original soap.

If you are wanting to recolor, it will likely be a blotchy color in the end as rebatch doesn't go back to a smooth consistency, its more like lumpy mashed potatoes.

If you need a perfect looking soap for some reason, it would be easier and faster to make a new batch and keep the wrinkled.ones for yourself.
Personally I love the wrinkled soap wish I could recreate it.

You could also chop it up for a confetti soap. The white/cream piece would be cute in a colored base.

I am not a fan of rebatching. I know some people like it, but it was not a fun process for me and I didn't like the end result.

If it's only cosmetic issues why bother. I don't care what my bars look like for personal use. It's still soap and does what it's supposed to do. I hate rebatching so I won't be bothered by it. I have shredded some a time or two and used it in another batch.

If you're going for a smooth, perfect look all around, rebatching will not help you. It will only make your soap look even more imperfect.

To my eyes, your soap looks great. :) For some of my batches, believe it or not, I intentionally manipulate the topmost surface of my batter once it's poured so that it comes out looking much like yours did. And then when unmolded and cut, I brush on some soap-safe iridescent mica to give it a pretty sheen, such as this batch below:

IMG_0571Cropped640.JPG

IrishLass :)

Of course you can but ask yourself what you hope to accomplish by rebatching. Rebatch will be rustic and rough looking, often less attractive then the original soap.

If you are wanting to recolor, it will likely be a blotchy color in the end as rebatch doesn't go back to a smooth consistency, its more like lumpy mashed potatoes.

If you need a perfect looking soap for some reason, it would be easier and faster to make a new batch and keep the wrinkled.ones for yourself.
Personally I love the wrinkled soap wish I could recreate it.
Thank you

If you're going for a smooth, perfect look all around, rebatching will not help you. It will only make your soap look even more imperfect.

To my eyes, your soap looks great. :) For some of my batches, believe it or not, I intentionally manipulate the topmost surface of my batter once it's poured so that it comes out looking much like yours did. And then when unmolded and cut, I brush on some soap-safe iridescent mica to give it a pretty sheen, such as this batch below:

View attachment 46479

IrishLass :)
Your soap looks pretty. Thanks for the idea. Appreciate it

If it's only cosmetic issues why bother. I don't care what my bars look like for personal use. It's still soap and does what it's supposed to do. I hate rebatching so I won't be bothered by it. I have shredded some a time or two and used it in another batch.
Ok I’ll leave as is thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back