Can I rebatch partially under cooked hot process soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TariOronar

Reaction score
I tried making my first batch of hot process yesterday. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the crockpot and it overflowed out of the crockpot. I spent the next 30 minutes or so scraping soap off my counter and putting it back in the cockpot. As as result, I know there were parts that didn't get cooked as long as the main batch of soap.
I put it in the mold when it looked like vaseline, but I can't say it was uniformly vaseline looking. Today, as I was cutting it, I noticed that I had these white spots. I did the zap test and they did zap me.
I normally calculate the lye by hand, but to double check after I found my lye spots I used both The Majestic Mountain Sage and Maple Springs' lye calculators, both of which agree with the amount of lye I use. I'm almost certain it's just pieces that didn't get cooked long enough after I threw them back in. So, my question is, is it safe to rebatch it?

View media item 1520

Yes- you can rebatch HP if you need to -it shouldn't hurt anything. I've rebatched shave soap before that I've HPed (forgot the FO) and it came out fine, but in a case such as yours, I don't think you really need to. Just cure it for the normal 4 weeks, and the parts that didn't get cooked for as long as the main part will eventually catch up with the rest of the soap, zap-wise.

IrishLass :)

Are you talking about the big chunk on the left side, from the center?

Is it only that part that zaps? Did you try any other part?

As long as it's not hard lye chunks I think you can rebatch it.. If it doesn't even out like IrishLass said after 4wks. Shred it fine and melt it down. I've tried rebatching in the microwave as well as the slow cooker. I like the results from the microwave but you need to keep watching it lol

I had a recent batch that had solid chunks of lye. You will be able to tell if it's soap or lye from the consistency when you try to press between your fingers. If it's that, the suggestion I got was to toss it.

But I would wait n see first, in case it really is just uncooked soap.

Latest posts

Back