can i proceed with this work on my high quality bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
One friend in the group recomended a recipe for a luxurious bar with 33 percent lye concentration.Another of my friends recomended to reduce the percentage of hard oils and butters to lie between 40 and 45 percent.Hence i revised my recipe as below.
pomace olive oil 50%
Palm oil 10%
Coconut oil 15%
cocoa butter 10%
shea butter 10%
castor oil 5%.

33% lye concentration and 5 % superfat and the soap calculator recommends to give 0.5 oz of fragrance oz/lb .I use a silicone mould.The size of each soap mold is length 3 inches ,breadth 2 inches and height 0.75 inches.I plan to make 15 soaps.hence the oils needed works to 27 ounces.If i find the calcualtion in soap calculator Iam asked to use 7.38 ounces of water and 3.63 oz of lye and fragrance of 0.84 oz.Is this correct because i have a confusion as if we choose 33 percent lye ratio it means 33% lye and 67 percent water but here the recomended lye amount and water amount is a bit confusing for me as to my mind it seems that iam asked to use 50 percent lye may be iam wrong.
Kindly help me in this regard.

Also when i choose coconut oil iam asked for various options like 76 degree centigrate 96 degree and fractioned.I chose 76 degree.Iam not able to appreciate the differences.
Also i prefer using sodium lactate.your recomendation is i tea spoon per 450 gms of oils .As here the oil weights is 765.44 gm(including butters) it works to 1.7 tea spoon may i use 2 teaspoons of 60 percent sodium lactate solution.I have attached my soap calculator pdf for your perusal.Thanks in advance

Attachments

• luxuary soap.pdf
    128.3 KB · Views: 8
Is this correct because i have a confusion as if we choose 33 percent lye ratio it means 33% lye and 67 percent water
Yes, it is correct.
7.38/(7.38+3.63)=67% (water fraction in the lye solution)
3.63/(7.38+3.63)=33% (NaOH fraction in the lye solution, aka lye concentration)

Soap calculators do have their rough edges, but lye concentration thankfully isn't one of them.

Also when i choose coconut oil iam asked for various options
If you use the normal coconut oil that you'd also use for normal cooking, then it is the 76°F variant (melting point 76°F=24°C, i. e. solid at 20°C and below). The 92°F variant is rarely found in grocery stores, and behaves identical in soap (properties, as well as SAP/amount of lye needed).

Fractionated CO is something entirely different (= MCT oil), and liquid even at fridge temperatures.

may i use 2 teaspoons of 60 percent sodium lactate solution.
Yes. This is still far from overdosing lactate.

Yes, it is correct.
7.38/(7.38+3.63)=67% (water fraction in the lye solution)
3.63/(7.38+3.63)=33% (NaOH fraction in the lye solution, aka lye concentration)

Soap calculators do have their rough edges, but lye concentration thankfully isn't one of them.

If you use the normal coconut oil that you'd also use for normal cooking, then it is the 76°F variant (melting point 76°F=24°C, i. e. solid at 20°C and below). The 92°F variant is rarely found in grocery stores, and behaves identical in soap (properties, as well as SAP/amount of lye needed).

Fractionated CO is something entirely different (= MCT oil), and liquid even at fridge temperatures.

Yes. This is still far from overdosing lactate.
Thank you very much

I prefer to calculate sodium lactate at 2% of oils, so the ratio stays consistent across batch sizes.

But I use the SoapmakingFriend calculator which allows me to put in the additives that way (no math needed on my part). Since you are using SoapCalc, you would have to manually figure that out for each batch.

Latest posts

Back