Can I melt a bar soap and tea tree oil to it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking that the last three ingredients do not allow this "soap" to be rebatched.

The only other thing I can think of would be to shred a bar as finely as you can, put the shreds in a container with some water and stick blend it to hades ( no heat yet). If you are satisfied with the product at this point add the TTO and begin drying with low heat 60 to 75 C so you can retain as much TTO as possible.

It would be a lot easier to make a leave on TTO with fractionated oil and just use the product as is with using the TTO leave on as a treatment for your skin problems. Just my opinion I do not make any medical claims at all in these statements.

I think it might be easier to just make some soap that is, for example, 10% coconut (sodium cocoate), 10% palm kernel (sodium palm kernelate) and 80% tallow (sodium tallowate) and add your tea tree to that. You could add a little grapefruit seed extract and glycerin to it.

ETA: Looking over this and your previous threads, it seems like you have found a soap that works for you and want to duplicate it, but with added Tea Tree EO. You don't want to particularly get deeply into soapmaking. I am thinking that you may better served by getting various carrier oils/fixed oils, adding a bit of tea tree and trying that. If you have a healthfood store near you or a Whole Foods, you should be able to get small quantities of oils like sweet almond, grapeseed, jojoba, etc. Take your tea tree (assuming it is 100% tea tree essential oil) and add 1 drop of EO to an ounce of your carrier oil, and use that on your skin and see what happens. (BTW, you may also want to try lavender EO.)

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for all the replies.

To the post above; I can't use TTO in any carrier oils I have to add it to the soap.

I don't know what is the problem but the soap is very hard, well it's bar soap. It does scrape off to tiny bits very easily though. I did add just a little bit of water but it didn't do much. Perhaps I was heating it up too quickly? I turned up the heat to the max. I wish I could make this work its the only thing I have left.

Not sure why you can't add the TTO to any carrier oils?

I have tallow, palm kernel, coconut and glycerin and tea tree essential oil. If you PM me your address, I'll make you a small batch (4 bars) and mail it to you.

If I'm recalling correctly, I believe OP has a medical condition that he/she has found relief from TTO, but I believe it's the eye area and a carrier oil builds up/ makes it worse.

Hello, thanks for all the replies.

To the post above; I can't use TTO in any carrier oils I have to add it to the soap.

I don't know what is the problem but the soap is very hard, well it's bar soap. It does scrape off to tiny bits very easily though. I did add just a little bit of water but it didn't do much. Perhaps I was heating it up too quickly? I turned up the heat to the max. I wish I could make this work its the only thing I have left.

Yes, you probably heated it too fast, and on direct heat. You may want to check the links I posted earlier about rebatching in a bag.

I wish I could make this work its the only thing I have left.

It's never "the only thing you have left". This kind of frustration is reserved to terminal illness only. Look around. The soap that you want is trivial to make. There is nothing special about the ingredient list you provided. The commercial soap probably has little or no superfat. I would guess a slightly negative superfat.

Many of the people on this forum who sell soap can make it for you to meet your exact specs, if you don't want to make it yourself. It looks like you want a soap with minimal or negative superfat with added tea tree oil. You can have soaps made with anywhere from -6 to +3 % superfat with added TTO. You can then figure out which soap works best for you. If you have a specific fatty acid profile that you think is causing problems, you can formulate around it. If you have more information, share it with us so we can better help you find a solution.

I never rebatch a small amount of soap in a pot. Small amount here is anything less than ~1 lb. Rebatching is a pain.

Latest posts

Back