can I make this into a cucumber soap? if so, how?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to turn this into a cucumber mint soap. I don't know how much cucumber to add, and I don't know when
to add it. I believe I could just grate the cucumber and add some peppermint extract.

I also have one question. I have a variation for a tropical soap; it's for a pineapple soap. One of the ingredients in it is coconut milk. Will this screw up the recipe? I could just use shredded coconut and grind it into a find powder. A recommendation I heard was to
cut back on the amount of water being used in a soap recipe, if you're adding coconut milk to it. Could I just use 4 ounces coconut milk in place of the water?

Also I would like to turn this into a mango and orange
soap. I would like to use some mango puree (4 ounces) in place of
the carrot juice called for; I would then add some grated orange zest
and some orange extract or orange essential oil to it for the orange fragrance. Would this work?

10 ounces Palm Oil
4 ounces Coconut Oil
2 ounces Olive Oil
2 ounces lye
4 fluid ounces water
4 fluid ounces carrot juice

Directions:
1. Pour lye into the water (never pour water into lye) - Set aside to cool
2. Melt oils together -set aside to cool
3. When oils are approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit and lye water is approximately 100 degrees Fahrenheit, gently pour lye into oils (never pour oils into lye)
4. Add juice to mixture, stirring constantly
5. Mix until soap traces
6. Pour into prepared molds
7. Cover with plastic wrap
8. Allow to stand covered and out of drafts for 48 hours
9. Remove form molds and cut as desired
10. Allow to age in open air for 2-3 weeks before using

smallandmighty888 said:
I would like to turn this into a cucumber mint soap. I don't know how much cucumber to add, and I don't know when
to add it. I believe I could just grate the cucumber and add some peppermint extract.

I also have one question. I have a variation for a tropical soap; it's for a pineapple soap. One of the ingredients in it is coconut milk. Will this screw up the recipe? I could just use shredded coconut and grind it into a find powder. A recommendation I heard was to
cut back on the amount of water being used in a soap recipe, if you're adding coconut milk to it. Could I just use 4 ounces coconut milk in place of the water?

Also I would like to turn this into a mango and orange
soap. I would like to use some mango puree (4 ounces) in place of
the carrot juice called for; I would then add some grated orange zest
and some orange extract or orange essential oil to it for the orange fragrance. Would this work?

10 ounces Palm Oil
4 ounces Coconut Oil
2 ounces Olive Oil
2 ounces lye
4 fluid ounces water

Directions:
3. When oils are approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit and lye water is approximately 100 degrees Fahrenheit, gently pour lye into oils (never pour oils into lye)
5. Mix until soap traces

First, for your recipe, with the carrot juice. Use that as half of your fluid. These are the numbers I got from MMS lye calculator

4-6ozs of fluid (so you can do 3 ozs of water, and 3ozs of carrot juice)
Lye 2.3ozs

For your cucumber, I grinded it up and added it at thin trace. alont with the extract.

I use coconut milk, but if your not use to working with it, you may burn it and mess up the soap. Add some grated coconut strips.

The mango one, Im not sure I have never added mango puree.. thats a new one on me, but you can do the same at trace as the one with the cucumber. Although you may want to cut back on your water intake on the cucumber one, because cucumber has a nice amount of fluid.

a question about your proportions........

Well I would like to try it with coconut milk with pineapple soap variation. When would I add the coconut milk to the soap batch? Also I've never actually made a batch of homemade soap before, so what did you mean
when you said "add the cucumber at a trace"? I am assuming I could just peel a cucumber, and grate it? How much would I reduce the carrot juice by, to 2 ounces?

If you have never made soap, I would start with a simple recipe, so you can get the feel for it. You have too many viariables in there right now.

Irena

If you want a very easy, basic "supermarket" recipe, PM me, I be glad to share one with you. I just need to know how big your mold is.

Paul.... :wink:
A GM RTCP Soapier!
TOG Soapmaking Tools!

soapbuddy said:
If you have never made soap, I would start with a simple recipe, so you can get the feel for it. You have too many viariables in there right now.

Irena

I agree with Irena, you should get use to making soap before you get into "tricks" and additives.

I appreciate the advice. However with my variations with the soap recipe,
the ingredients I would be using for the fragrance aren't additives. Things
such as orange peel, coconut milk, and mango puree, please enlighten me as to how those are additives. I enjoy being creative. I would like to create
some scent variations with the original recipe. Thank you for the advice,
but please answer the questions I asked.

smallandmighty888 said:
I appreciate the advice. However with my variations with the soap recipe,
the ingredients I would be using for the fragrance aren't additives. Things
such as orange peel, coconut milk, and mango puree, please enlighten me as to how those are additives. I enjoy being creative. I would like to create
some scent variations with the original recipe. Thank you for the advice,
but please answer the questions I asked.

I answered your question. And yes they are additives. You dont have to get defense. We are just letting you know, additives can get tricky even for seasoned soapers, especially working with coocnut milk (which would turn orange and smell burned if you do it wrong)... I understand being creative, I love being creative but I didnt do that until AFTER I learned the basics of soapmaking.

So answering your question. Yes, those are additives to the soap.

Soap is nothing but oils, and lye solution. the end. If you ADD anything like food, fragrance, color etc.. its an additive to the soap.

Changing liquids may not be an additive but it can be difficult and requires adjustments.

Okay. That's why I'm asking if it's feasible for me to do the variations I want to. I'm also asking what proportions I would use for those variations and when I would add them.

The Variations I have for the basic soap recipe are.........

10 ounces Palm Oil
4 ounces Coconut Oil
2 ounces Olive Oil
2 ounces lye
4 fluid ounces water

Directions:
5. Mix until soap traces

LEMON LIME SOAP:Use 2 ounces each lime juice and lemon juice in place
of carrot juice

APPLE SOAP:Use 4 ounces apple juice in place of carrot juice and add
1 t cinnamon and nutmeg, and 1/2 t cloves.

CRANBERRY SOAP:Use 4 ounces cranberry juice and 3 t grated
orange zest.

The only one I really have questions with is the pineapple soap.
I am using pineapple juice in place of the carrot juice. I'm asking
if I can use coconut milk in place of the water and when to add it.

With the other variations, I kept the liquid the same. I merely replaced
the carrot juice with other liquids, yet used the same amount.

If the proportions of the ingredients with the scents need to be
changed, let me know please.

The only other question I have is turning this into a mango orange soap.
Can I use mango puree in place of the carrot juice or would it screw it up?
I was wondering if I could use 2 ounces orange juice and 2 ounces
mango puree.

Yes I know I have to start with beginner recipes. However, I'm asking
about this recipe because I would like to try the scent variations when
I become more experienced.

Lime juice and lemon juice will negate your lye. Apple juice and cranberry juice have acid as well. I wouldn't use them. Also the scent wouldn't necesarilly come through. You would be better off using essential oils or soap safe fragrances.

Irena

smallandmighty888 said:
Okay. That's why I'm asking if it's feasible for me to do the variations I want to. I'm also asking what proportions I would use for those variations and when I would add them.

The Variations I have for the basic soap recipe are.........

10 ounces Palm Oil
4 ounces Coconut Oil
2 ounces Olive Oil
2 ounces lye
4 fluid ounces water

Directions:
5. Mix until soap traces

LEMON LIME SOAP:Use 2 ounces each lime juice and lemon juice in place
of carrot juice

APPLE SOAP:Use 4 ounces apple juice in place of carrot juice and add
1 t cinnamon and nutmeg, and 1/2 t cloves.

CRANBERRY SOAP:Use 4 ounces cranberry juice and 3 t grated
orange zest.

The only one I really have questions with is the pineapple soap.
I am using pineapple juice in place of the carrot juice. I'm asking
if I can use coconut milk in place of the water and when to add it.

With the other variations, I kept the liquid the same. I merely replaced
the carrot juice with other liquids, yet used the same amount.

If the proportions of the ingredients with the scents need to be
changed, let me know please.

The only other question I have is turning this into a mango orange soap.
Can I use mango puree in place of the carrot juice or would it screw it up?
I was wondering if I could use 2 ounces orange juice and 2 ounces
mango puree.

Yes I know I have to start with beginner recipes. However, I'm asking
about this recipe because I would like to try the scent variations when
I become more experienced.

If you read above, I fixed your lye and water amount, because this recipe was off. I am agreeing with Irena again. I am going suggest again, an easier recipe.

I did read the corrections you made with the recipe I posted earlier
in the post. I am wondering if that applies with all the variations I made
on the recipe. Just because I posted this recipe and asked questions about it, doesn't mean this is the first recipe I'm going to try. I'm asking questions questions about it for future reference. Thank you for the advice and
the proportion adjustments, I appreciate it. However, I do still have two questions in the prior post I made; please answer them.

Sorry, but I will no longer answer your questions. You seem too demanding when we are just trying to help you out. So.. you can go do some research in the internet land, like I did years ago, and still doing presently...

Irena.. you can help her if you like.. Tab, Paul?

Me... sorry.. I tend to help people who are polite and respectful to me.

Good Luck

smellitlikeitis said:
Sorry, but I will no longer answer your questions. You seem too demanding when we are just trying to help you out. So.. you can go do some research in the internet land, like I did years ago, and still doing presently...

Irena.. you can help her if you like.. Tab, Paul?

Me... sorry.. I tend to help people who are polite and respectful to me.

Good Luck

I'm done.

Irena

I'm trying to understand the questions. :? I'll take a look and see.

ETA: The advice Shannan and Irena gave is true and accurate. This seems to be a recipe copied somewhere off the internet. Again, I am more than happy to post a simple 4 to 5 oil recipe you can pick up at Wal-Mart. Go to a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby and get some skin safe fragrance oils. This recipe and It's additives is very "complicated" and bears caution even for us more experienced soapiers.

Soapmaker Man said:
I'm trying to understand the questions. :? I'll take a look and see.

ETA: The advice Shannan and Irena gave is true and accurate. This seems to be a recipe copied somewhere off the internet. Again, I am more than happy to post a simple 4 to 5 oil recipe you can pick up at Wal-Mart. Go to a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby and get some skin safe fragrance oils. This recipe and It's additives is very "complicated" and bears caution even for us more experienced soapiers.

She is not going to. She said earlier. She just wants to jump right in, and not take baby steps.... we have repeated ourselves many times advising to start with a smaller more beginner recipe.. and she wont.. so.. I am leaving it alone

That recipe is from dianassundries

I suggest you visit miller soap for beginner recipes

I think Kathy Miller's site should be mandatory reading before anyone tries their hand at making CP soap. I read and read stuff at her site, the links she has, the simple but pretty good soap recipes she has listed, all needed learning material for the newbie soap maker! Thanks to the Miller site, many new soapmakers have found success and not failure or danger to themselves or others.

Just my $.02 worth. :lol:

I am new and this topic cofuses me, because the question right before this one was about adding fruit and herbs. The poster was told they would mold, so now I'm REALLY confused (doesn't take much!) Thanks ya'll.

Latest posts

Back