Can I just add ingredients to pre-made Castile Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never purchased a ready made base myself, but from experience reading posts on the LiquidSoap list and the CosmeticLab lists do not be
surprised if your additives fall to the bottom of the bottle. You can always
shake it, I suppose. :wink:

Your additives of certain EO's. Beware that you do not add MORE than the recommended percentage of total EO/ounces of soap. And take note that certain EO's can actually irritate skin to worsen problems.

Acne has different causes: allergies, plugged oil glands, entrapped dirt or particles, etc.

If you use Lumina, for example, as an exfolliant and fail to rinse ever bit off can get what look like a zit from the bit buried under the skin. So first determine the cause then proceed from there.

I have had great success clearing teen acne problems for customers with simple bar soap recipes using less comdogenic oil combo like shea butter and sunflower oils in a base of coconut, palm kernel, castor and pure grade olive oil. I scented with a mild rosemary, lavender and tea tree.

Tabitha said:
Yes, some companies just skirting the rules and the FDA just doesn't bother to police the issue. A large % of people who make bath & body items (or any other art craft item) look at their craft as a hobby rather than a biz & somehow rationalize the FDA does not apply to them. Many also do not collect sales taxes, report income, etc.
The hobbyists are counting on there being more of them than federal agents, and counting on being so small that it would be too expensive to prosecute them in terms of labor cost.

Not a good bet in my opinion. I'm just going to sell soap, charge sales tax where required, file income taxes, make no claims other than "it's just soap."

pjdxxxwa said:
Your additives of certain EO's. Beware that you do not add MORE than the recommended percentage of total EO/ounces of soap. And take note that certain EO's can actually irritate skin to worsen problems.

I have had great success clearing teen acne problems for customers with simple bar soap recipes using less comdogenic oil combo like shea butter and sunflower oils in a base of coconut, palm kernel, castor and pure grade olive oil. I scented with a mild rosemary, lavender and tea tree.

Is there a site or list somewhere that gives the ratios?

I'd like to keep the soap only olive oil. Is that non-comogenic?

CastileAway said:
pjdxxxwa said:

Is there a site or list somewhere that gives the ratios?

I'd like to keep the soap only olive oil. Is that non-comogenic?

No such luck?

Each eo from each diff supplier is going to have a dif ratio. No 2 oils are created equal.

That's like asking how many jelly beans can a person eat before they get a tummy ache. There re other factors that come in to play. Best thing to do is ask the specific supplier where you got the oil & see what they suggest.

Latest posts

Back