Can I get the mad micas red set in Europe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Reaction score
I really want to make some soap that's actually red... My latest red mica is red-ish, but in a rusty sort of way. I'm thinking poppies, Coke cans, Swiss army knives...

The best recommendation I can find is the true red set from mad micas, but shipping would be insane. I can't seem to find any EU distributors. Does anyone have either a supplier or an alternative recommendation I could use?

I can't seem to find any EU distributors.

Probably because they are not allowed. Karen at EdensSecret1 in the UK had purchased the Really Red! Pigment and then found out that she couldn't use it.

My recommendation would be to get the sheets on the set and then contact your local assessors office and see if they are allowed.

Oh, that's unfortunate! Thanks for letting me know!

I don't sell, so the business side doesn't matter for me, but if they're not allowed then it's unlikely to be worth trying to source some nearer to hand.

I guess plan B will be finding the best option that's available here...

Thanks @Zany_in_CO! Funnily enough the last one I tried was from them: Fiery Red Mica Pigment (ci77019, ci77891, ci77492) but it didn't live up to the picture. This is how it came out, kind of brownish-orange:
16165348818031700196604324899323.jpg
I don't know a lot about the different kinds of colourings, I've only really used micas and one set of not-great liquid colours. Do you think the pigment one you listed is more likely to give a good colour than the mica?

Do you think the pigment one you listed is more likely to give a good colour than the mica?
Unfortunately, Tara, I have very little experience with micas, pigments, and dyes and I'm reluctant to advise you. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge and experience will happen along soon. :videovisit:

Oh, that's unfortunate! Thanks for letting me know!

I don't sell, so the business side doesn't matter for me, but if they're not allowed then it's unlikely to be worth trying to source some nearer to hand.

Personal use is different. You'd be fine there.

Not the EU, but I went on the "I Dream In Soap" YT channel where Lisa is based in the UK. With her color use and research, it looks like even she does not have the red you seek - what I'd call a true red. I've placed a screen shot that shows her color pucks. I wonder if she'd have any helpful advice if you commented on her channel? Here's the video the screen shot came from:
Color video link

1616555232953.png

Linda O’Sullivan of Mimi and Boo soaps in Surrey, UK recently posted a very striking all red soap to her IG account.

I just noticed that she mentioned in the comments that she used madder root and red clay, not micas.

i’m not thrilled to hear that the red pigments are banned in the EU. It makes me worry about their safety.

I've placed a screen shot that shows her color pucks.
Thanks!! There's a couple in there that might be close, even if they're not exactly what I was going for. I'll definitely check that out.

Edit: she recommends micamoma... I went there before but was put off by the pop-ups, but I pushed through this time and I think I'll place a test order. They have a couple of promising options, including Rock Star Red Synthetic Mica. *Fingers crossed*

I just noticed that she mentioned in the comments that she used madder root and red clay, not micas.
That's an amazing result from those! Seems like some witchery going on 😮
I plan on growing some madder but my usual seed place didn't have any this year, I might need to step up my efforts!

Last edited:
i’m not thrilled to hear that the red pigments are banned in the EU. It makes me worry about their safety.

There are things that are allowed in the UK and EU that aren't allowed here...doesn't necessarily mean that something is bad. The EU, of which rules the UK still follows, doesn't allow for more than five additives in soap per soap assessment. 'Additives' being anything outside of the oils, butters, lye and water like Sodium Lactate, Tussah Silk, Milk Powders, Purees, Colorants, Scents, etc. My Chocolate Espresso Soap would be prohibited in the EU...I "add" Sodium Lactate and Kaolin Clay in my batter, then I add TD, Cocoa, Mica and an FO...that's six ingredients. So would my Barbershop soap as it also uses Red and Blue pigments, TD and FO.

One of the things I have learned from watch Lisa with I Dream in Soap, is how to do more with less. Assessments are not cheap so she uses colorants that can be used separately or combines to create additional colors...like combining red and blue to make purple or blue and yellow to make green or red and TD to make pink.

The EU also limits FOs to I think 3%, even though the safe usage rates are higher.

Email Joanna or Karyn. They'd be able to tell you if they ship to Ireland. [email protected]

Or you can ask them on FB through their page.

Thanks - yeah they would ship here but for tracked delivery it was something like $80, off the top of my head. I do want red soap, but I don't want it quite that much!

There are things that are allowed in the UK and EU that aren't allowed here...doesn't necessarily mean that something is bad. The EU, of which rules the UK still follows, doesn't allow for more than five additives in soap per soap assessment. 'Additives' being anything outside of the oils, butters, lye and water like Sodium Lactate, Tussah Silk, Milk Powders, Purees, Colorants, Scents, etc. My Chocolate Espresso Soap would be prohibited in the EU...I "add" Sodium Lactate and Kaolin Clay in my batter, then I add TD, Cocoa, Mica and an FO...that's six ingredients. So would my Barbershop soap as it also uses Red and Blue pigments, TD and FO.

One of the things I have learned from watch Lisa with I Dream in Soap, is how to do more with less. Assessments are not cheap so she uses colorants that can be used separately or combines to create additional colors...like combining red and blue to make purple or blue and yellow to make green or red and TD to make pink.

The EU also limits FOs to I think 3%, even though the safe usage rates are higher.

You can have more than five ingredients in soap, the only restriction is based on which assessor you use and prices. The cheapest (or perhaps the most well known) package limits you to five additional items on top of your base recipe but I have other soaps assessed with more extras.

Mobjack Bay, I am not seeing where red pigments are totally 'banned'. (If I missed that somewhere, let me know.) What I do see is that in some cases, some of them can be used in some instances, and in others they must come with a warning (could cause "an adverse effect on activity and attention in children", I believe what we call ADHD.) Another restriction I see is that some are not allowed to be used in cosmetics that come in contact with mucous membranes (I assume soap qualifies as such a product.)

banned-foods (dated 2020)

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/cosing/pdf/COSING_Annex IV_v2.pdf (dated 2020)

Cosmetic Products Regulation, Annex IV - Allowed Colorants - cosmetics-colorant - ECHA (EU. Allowed Colorants: Annex IV, Regulation 1223/2009/EC on Cosmetic Products, as amended by Regulation 2019/681/EU, 2 May 2019)

banned-foods (dated 2019, but related to food, but compares US to EU regulations for colorants, so maybe it might address some of your wondering)

Mobjack Bay, I am not seeing where red pigments are totally 'banned'. (If I missed that somewhere, let me know.) What I do see is that in some cases, some of them can be used in some instances, and in others they must come with a warning (could cause "an adverse effect on activity and attention in children", I believe what we call ADHD.) Another restriction I see is that some are not allowed to be used in cosmetics that come in contact with mucous membranes (I assume soap qualifies as such a product.)

banned-foods (dated 2020)

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/cosing/pdf/COSING_Annex IV_v2.pdf (dated 2020)

Cosmetic Products Regulation, Annex IV - Allowed Colorants - cosmetics-colorant - ECHA (EU. Allowed Colorants: Annex IV, Regulation 1223/2009/EC on Cosmetic Products, as amended by Regulation 2019/681/EU, 2 May 2019)

banned-foods (dated 2019, but related to food, but compares US to EU regulations for colorants, so maybe it might address some of your wondering)
Thanks Earlene. I will check out the information.

I have the most amazing colours that i brought off a seller from Etsy and he happens to be in England,do you want his Etsy shop name? Forgot to mention i also use Beetroot Powder,just try a little in a test of batter first and add more if you need too,but i am keen on using natural colours now.

Thanks - yeah they would ship here but for tracked delivery it was something like $80, off the top of my head. I do want red soap, but I don't want it quite that much!
Do you have Address Pal? If I need to order from the states I use that, its do much easier because they will ship to your US address then to your Irish address through An Post. But make sure to ask them to put a lower value on the declaration or ul get stuck with customs. I've learnt the hard way lol

Latest posts

Back