Can I get a soap doctor? Lol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanooo48

Reaction score
BAF9FA28-0A62-4670-9353-76516F3B1195.jpeg
150A4482-FBD1-4C7D-8FF5-E39CEA540C5F.jpeg

So here’s what this dummy did. I was bored last night before bed and I had some oils and butters put together for a batch ready to go and couldn’t decide what to do. I had a brand new bottle of Braggs apple cider vinegar so I measured out a decent amount with a small amount of distilled water and stuck it in the freezer and decided to make a crisp apple scented apple cider vinegar soap on a whim.
Too tired to math, (not that I math very well to begin with lol) I didn’t mind a high superfat. Just wasn’t expecting these little spots. Are these lye spots?? :( Should I never sleep soap ever again?! LOL I mean they smell amazeballs but mannnn I’ve never seen these little spots in my batches before. Also never played with vinegar. I would have expected it to neutralize the lye a lot, but it was all melted so where did these things come from? I’m bewildered lol. Soap doctors hewp me! This is what I get for experimenting lol. :oops:

I am guessing they are little bubbles, since I can see a couple that are actually popped. Otherwise is you cut with a wire cutter you can end up with bubbly looks spots.

Next time you you use vinegar you would probably be much happier with a bar where you added in the extra lye, which is simple math. Just multiply your vinegar amount by 0.0357 to get the extra lye needed. I also hate to mention the vinegar smell will not last after cure. I soap most batches with vinegar now. For my recipes if I leave out the extra lye it will take up my superfat to approx 10.7%. For me that makes a pretty oily soap.

I am guessing they are little bubbles, since I can see a couple that are actually popped. Otherwise is you cut with a wire cutter you can end up with bubbly looks spots.

Next time you you use vinegar you would probably be much happier with a bar where you added in the extra lye, which is simple math. Just multiply your vinegar amount by 0.0357 to get the extra lye needed. I also hate to mention the vinegar smell will not last after cure. I soap most batches with vinegar now. For my recipes if I leave out the extra lye it will take up my superfat to approx 10.7%. For me that makes a pretty oily soap.
I DID use a wire cutter! And it’s new! Is that what I’m seeing?! Because a lot of them look raised and I was wondering if they were bubbles but they looked whitish so I was a bit nervous! And thanks for the advice!!! So very much appreciated! And I def don’t want the scent to last in the soap. I’ve learned I reeeeeeally do NOT like the smell of apple cider vinegar LOL in fact I was gagging even through the mask, until I masked it with frangrance oil! LOL!

Also is there a way to avoid the bubbly spots when using a wire cutter? Like did I go too fast or slow? Sorry haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you done a zap test? That would rule out your fear. But I agree with Carolyn.

The percentage of vinegar in Braggs ACV is 5% vinegar, but not all ACV is 5% vinegar, some is 6%, so that can change your calculations slightly.

5% is common for store bought white vinegar, but I have seen it sold as low as 3% in some stores, so it's a good idea to always check the percentage of vinegar you buy.

...is there a way to avoid the bubbly spots when using a wire cutter?...

I don't think you can entirely get rid of bumps like these when using a wire cutter. I think the bumps can be more obvious if I cut the soap when it's on the softer side rather than at that "firm colby cheese" stage. Also if my wire isn't tightened up enough. But fixing these issues don't entirely get rid of the bumps -- they just become a bit less noticeable.

To get rid of the bumps, you can plane off a thin shaving to smooth the cut surface. Or you can use a blade of some type rather than a wire cutter and entirely avoid the bumps/bubbles.

I don't think you can entirely get rid of bumps like these when using a wire cutter. I think the bumps can be more obvious if I cut the soap when it's on the softer side rather than at that "firm colby cheese" stage. Also if my wire isn't tightened up enough. But fixing these issues don't entirely get rid of the bumps -- they just become a bit less noticeable.

To get rid of the bumps, you can plane off a thin shaving to smooth the cut surface. Or you can use a blade of some type rather than a wire cutter and entirely avoid the bumps/bubbles.
Thank you guys so much you’re all the best! I’m still new to the wire cutter. I had no idea it could cause that! Dag nabbit! Lol! I cut two other loafs and didn’t notice the bubbles but they had more going on so I’ll have to investigate lol.

Tiny air bubbles can look like bumps when the soap is cut with a wire, but sometimes the bumps really are .... bumps. Your soap has a lot less bumps than I often see in my soap. I realize that probably does not make you feel better. :( Misery loves company?

I've wondered if the bumps are small particles of slightly harder soap that deflect the wire as it passes through the soap. Or they might be slightly different particles of soap that feel the need to pop out of the soap surface when the soap is cut, for whatever reason. But I'm totally just guessing.

Tiny air bubbles can look like bumps when the soap is cut with a wire, but sometimes the bumps really are .... bumps. Your soap has a lot less bumps than I often see in my soap. I realize that probably does not make you feel better. :( Misery loves company?

I've wondered if the bumps are small particles of slightly harder soap that deflect the wire as it passes through the soap. Or they might be slightly different particles of soap that feel the need to pop out of the soap surface when the soap is cut, for whatever reason. But I'm totally just guessing.
So I scraped an end slice with a paring knife so check it out tonight and it seems like it’s just white spots. Lol it’s so weird. They are so small. I zap tested. Fine. I’m wondering if it could be because it started to rice everrrrrr so slightly from the frangrance oil but I beat it out pretty quickly. Maybe not well enough? I inspected my other soaps from the wire cutter and no air bubbles so it has to be batch specific. I can’t believe how crazy it’s making me lol. I really am a perfectionist to a fault! :confused::(

Latest posts

Back