Can I do this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepibarra

Reaction score
Ok so the lye calculator that I am using is at 38%water per oils and 28%lye. and a 5% superfat discount.... can this be changed if so what would you recommend...

I am thinking of doing a coconut and crisco recipe..

I'm not experienced enough to mess with water or lye percentages but I do know you can adjust your lye discount/superfat percentage. I always have a 6% discount and I know some go up to 8%. I personally wouldn't go much higher than that though.

I've been setting my lye concentration at 30% for no particular good reason. The difference between that and 28% is insignificant. Water is the least critical ingredient as far as amount in recipe.

I've left the superfat at 5% because I'm adding FOs which contribute additional fat not taken into account in SoapCalc. Unless my math is wrong, adding 1 oz ppo of FO adds an additional 1/17 part (1 ounce FO in 16 ounces base oil plus 1 ounce FO) or an additional 6% of superfatting, bringing the total superfatting up to about 11%.

That assumes the FO base oil is saponifiable and also assumes CP soap where lye is in the mix.

Latest posts

Back