Can HP ingredients be converted to CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhorniv

Reaction score
I was at my local craft store and the selections for soap making materials are pretty dismal and everything they have are for HP soap making. I have already done a few batches doing CP and have the items needed to continue. I bought a book when I first started that has several recipes but its for HP, is it possible to convert this over to CP?

I was at my local craft store and the selections for soap making materials are pretty dismal and everything they have are for HP soap making. I have already done a few batches doing CP and have the items needed to continue. I bought a book when I first started that has several recipes but its for HP, is it possible to convert this over to CP?

Run the ingredients through a lye calculator. The ingredients are the same for CP and HP, although the water amount may differ with the personal taste of the maker. No matter the recipe, or where you got it, still run it though a lye calculator to check that there were no typos.

Edit: short answer - there is no reason to convert the recipe. The ingredients are the same only the technique changes.

Last edited:
Most definitely! The only difference between HP and CP is heat (you cook HP all the way to the gel-stage). You can use any recipe for HP interchangeably with CP, and vice-versa.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add- ditto what Dory said about running the recipe through a lye calculator first.

Last edited:
Also, some colors may be stable in HP (added after the bulk of saponification is complete) but not in CP. That may be some of the "HP only" stuff you are finding.

CP or HP is just a difference in the method, ingredients are the same. The oils, the lye, fragrance, additives and so on, stay the same. So I didn't understand when you said the ingredients are for HP soap making. What kind of ingredients are they? How are they labelled? While I haven't read any books on HP, I've seen plenty of videos early on to know that you can either mold the batter after trace which would be the cold process OR you can start cooking it, go through the whole process and then mold which would then be hot process. When you add your additives or fragrances can differ but the ingredients are the same. Lye calculations are similar except when you super fat after the cook in HP.

I also wonder if maybe you are confusing melt and pour and true hot process?

Im wondering the same thing as that is what it sounds like, since MP has different ingredients than HP/CP, and since the OP stated they have made CP a few times already...and I know that my local craft stores mainly sell MP stuff.

HP and CP are pretty much the same recipes, they just differ in technique. M&P is a whole 'nuther thing.

I agree with our other members.. just run through a calc.
Why no try CPOP I love doing this in the winter.
I use a CP recipe and stick in a preheat oven @ 175 degree for 2 hours.
and its done. then I let it sit in the oven over night and un-mold on day 2

I am sorry, yes they are for melt and pour soap making, Im still very new at this and assumed HP and melt and pour where the same.

I am sorry, yes they are for melt and pour soap making, Im still very new at this and assumed HP and melt and pour where the same.

That's very understandable. If you think CP, HP, & MP are confusing, though, just wait until you see our Acronym stickie thread. lol
There are so many acromyms it'll make your head spin!: CP, HP, CPOP, CPHP, DBHP, DHHP, DWCP, MWHP, etc.. Some of these, I've never even heard of being used in a sentence before:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=3789

But anyway- yes- HP and MP are two very different animals. HP and CP are made totally from scratch with lye and oils, and MP is a pre-made base that may have started out as lye-based soap formula on paper, but then different alcohols are added to the recipe to make it melt-able, and surfactants are added to make it lather well. All you have to do is melt it, color and scent it, then pour into a mold.

In contrast, CP and HP are very difficult to melt down from their solid state, and they don't need any added surfactants to help them lather.

IrishLass :)

Many of the colors and fragrances you'd use for M&P won't behave well in CP/HP. If you're interested in making your own CP/HP, take a look through the beginner section of the forum. There's a bunch of good information there. Also, Soaping 101 on youtube has very helpful tutorials. Start with the oldest videos first as they build on one another.

If you have any questions, folks here are always happy to help!

Latest posts

Back