Can fresh ingredients added after HP go bad?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasha_88

Reaction score
I make cold process soap with milks, honey, vegetable juice and essential oils. I'm thinking of trying HP and adding all those ingredients after the cooking, so they have a better chance of surviving (the EOs evaporate, honey and milk lead to partial gel, etc.). However, would the milk and vegetable juice eventually spoil if they haven't been through the saponification process? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have added a little cream or powdered milk after the cook, but I would be concerned about adding vegetable matter. A little honey would probably be OK if you don't overdo it.

It can, but it depends - if everything is mixed in well then it will be in a very alkaline environment which will help to keep it from spoiling. If it's not mixed in well then pockets of the additives can indeed go bad - the parts in the edge of the pocket are in a fairly alkaline environment, but not the parts in the middle of the pocket.

I'm not sure if all of the additives should be added after a cook. Honey, for example, brings benefits to the bubbles - but does it do it quite the same when added after the cook? Need an expert to chime in on that, as I haven't tested it myself

I make cold process soap with milks, honey, vegetable juice and essential oils. I'm thinking of trying HP and adding all those ingredients after the cooking, so they have a better chance of surviving (the EOs evaporate, honey and milk lead to partial gel, etc.). However, would the milk and vegetable juice eventually spoil if they haven't been through the saponification process? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
i came across this lady's blog today from her guests posts on the modernsoapmaking blog. she does a lot of HP and has some info in this post on goat's milk and this one on steps to better HP about adding ingredients like milks, honey, & carrot juice after the cook. might be worth looking into. she even does lots of swirling in HPCP if you're into that.

Latest posts

Back