Can Crude Rice bran oil be used in cold process soaps??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For trying out an oil you haven't used before, or one about which there is not much information available, it is recommended to make a small batch - maybe 500g. That way you have not invested too much in materials or time while testing it out.

Hi, unlike refined rice bran oil we can only buy minimum of 200kg crude rice bran oil here

I’m surprised you can get crude bro. As far as I’m aware all Rbo’s are solvent extracted. How does the crude differ from the refined?

My spell check doesn’t like my rice bran oil abbreviation ;)

Hi, unlike refined rice bran oil we can only buy minimum of 200kg crude rice bran oil here

Hmm, can you find someone who uses it for something else, and ask them for a small amount, say a litre or so to try a small batch? Social media is good for that kind of request. You might need to pay a little over the odds for it, but worth it to check if it'll do what you need before you buy a whole big batch.

Hi, I have managed to get a 40kg crude rbo from a local supplier.But I am not sure if I’ll use it as it looks dark brown and smells like fart.

I’m surprised you can get crude bro. As far as I’m aware all Rbo’s are solvent extracted. How does the crude differ from the refined?

My spell check doesn’t like my rice bran oil abbreviation ;)
Hi,
Yes it is solvent extracted.The crude one has free fatty acid content and it’s unfiltered I think

Hi, I have managed to get a 40kg crude rbo from a local supplier.But I am not sure if I’ll use it as it looks dark brown and smells like fart.

Well, if you have it, it's worth trying a very small batch, like 200g total. Knowing that the smells of other oils often get muted by the lye, it might be ok, or at least faint enough to be easily covered up by fragrance oils...
Let us know if you do try it!

Hi,
Yes it is solvent extracted.The crude one has free fatty acid content and it’s unfiltered I think
Thanks. As Babyshoes mentioned, hopefully the smell will disappear and mayb titanium dioxide will help with the colour. I used dripping in one of my recipes, smelt very “meaty” so added geranium and palmarosa to hide the smell. I used a lot of rice bran oil, one of the cheaper oils in New Zealand. Sometimes charcoal filters are used to remove the smell of oils. Hopefully the saponification process will do that for you

Free fatty acids are a no-go for food, but will help with soap making. Everyone who has ever used 0.5% or more stearic acid can probably confirm.

A difficult point might be the saponification value. Some numbers out there that suggest that you can just use the numbers of refined RBO. But I'd be at least skeptical, given the high amount of unsapoinifiables and moisture in the crude RBO. Do you have any kind of SAP/acid value analysis? The refined numbers are a starting point: you might be fine, but you also might end up lye-heavy (zap test failed), or on the other hand accelerate DOS. Worth a try anyway!

Back