Can cp soap be stored in the fridge while curing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosmerta

Reaction score
I searched for this topic and found this thread from 2016 Storing or curing CP soap in the fridge

No one who commented on the thread had ever tried storing soap in the fridge to cure, but they offered alternatives to combate humidity.

I just made a large batch of soap cupcakes which I currently have cooling in the fridge. I need to leave town for a few weeks to assist a sick family member and I'm leaving in just a few hours. Since cupcakes dont need to be cut right away I'm wondering if it is okay to leave them in my fridge in the cupcake molds until I come back. Where I live is extremely humid, and I dont have a dehumidifier or cat litter on hand. Would the long-term cold have any unforeseen side effects on the cure?

I've not tried it. You would be slowing the saponification process down a lot, but as you're away it is not an issue. But because it's enclosed for that amount of time, I wouldn't count it as a curing period as such. As in, if you cure for 4 weeks usually, I'd still air it for 4 weeks after you come back rather than just 2 further weeks.

I live in Oregon. For the most, I saponify and cure my soaps in my garage. Except during the summer when I saponify my Goat Milk Soap in the frig. This is my experience.

Temperature affects saponification and cure. On the average (60F-75F), soap sits in my garage for a couple of days, then I unmold, lightly cover and let sit for a day before cutting and trimming and then back into the garage to cure for six to eight weeks. When the weather is hot like it is right now (80F-95F) , I can unmold in 18 to 24 hours, cut and trim and then off to cure for five to six weeks. When the temperature drops to 60F or below, my soap will sit in the molds for several days, sit in the kitchen for a couple of days, get unmolded and lightly covered for a couple of more days, then cut and back to the garage. It's then another week before I trim and then 10 to 12 weeks to cure.

My GMS sits in the frig for two to three days, then I let it sit for a least a day before I unmold and lightly cover for at least another day before I cut and trim.

Based solely on my experience, your cupcakes will be fine in the frig while you are gone, but expect them to need at least four weeks cure time when you get back. And I would seal the tops of the cakes with wax paper or plastic wrap because that long in the frig, the soap will absorb odors.

I would say not likely. I think the moisture from the fridge would encourage moisture and it won't evaporate causing other issues. Curing needs to be in air circulation not humid air. I would just leave the cupcakes out to cure. That's what I do when I make them. Leave them out to cure for 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:
I live in Oregon. For the most, I saponify and cure my soaps in my garage. Except during the summer when I saponify my Goat Milk Soap in the frig. This is my experience.

Temperature affects saponification and cure. On the average (60F-75F), soap sits in my garage for a couple of days, then I unmold, lightly cover and let sit for a day before cutting and trimming and then back into the garage to cure for six to eight weeks. When the weather is hot like it is right now (80F-95F) , I can unmold in 18 to 24 hours, cut and trim and then off to cure for five to six weeks. When the temperature drops to 60F or below, my soap will sit in the molds for several days, sit in the kitchen for a couple of days, get unmolded and lightly covered for a couple of more days, then cut and back to the garage. It's then another week before I trim and then 10 to 12 weeks to cure.

My GMS sits in the frig for two to three days, then I let it sit for a least a day before I unmold and lightly cover for at least another day before I cut and trim.

Based solely on my experience, your cupcakes will be fine in the frig while you are gone, but expect them to need at least four weeks cure time when you get back. And I would seal the tops of the cakes with wax paper or plastic wrap because that long in the frig, the soap will absorb odors.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've decided I will take them out of the fridge to cure while I am gone. I don't want to slow the saponification process and it sounds like the cold would slow that down more than humidity will.

Thanks!

My soapy cupcakes :)
20200722_110508.jpg

Latest posts

Back