Can CP soap be made to cure faster??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMAriel

Reaction score
A friend asked me to make her a batch of soap for gifts. She said she needed them in two weeks, I told her it takes at least 4-6 wks for them to cure properly. But my mind keeps going back to something I read, maybe two years ago, about a way to get them to cure faster. But I can't remember how they did it, or where I read it. Does this sound familar to anyone? Can you make CP soap cure faster, and still get the same quality?

PS. I find that the longer my soaps cure, the better and milder they are. I'm using soap today that was made in June, and its better today than it was when it was 6 wks old. Also last year I gave someone a bar that was about two years old, and they loved it. I had another one, and I used it and they were right, it was wonderful. So does soap become better the longer it sits? That's what I am experiencing.

Thanks.

you aren't likely to get any more info from cross posting than from one good thread.

anyway, a search on the terms "cure faster" and "cure speed" will get you a lot of really good information.

i think cant you just lower the percentage of water that is used in the batch and it will cure faster?? (could be wrong so dont quote this as fact)

if you use less water that means that the curing process (of water evaporating out of your soap) will take less time to complete because there is less water in the soap to evaporate... :)

Ian is correct. Most of the saponification of the base (lye) with the alkali (oils/fats) occurs within a few days after pour. From that point, it is mainly dehydration process involved in "curing" the soap. I have a small dehumidifier set up in my walk in closet I use in the summer time. I bought it at a garage sale for $20. This speeds up "cure" time by pulling the moisture from the soap. The room is sealed really well. I try to soap anymore at a 35 to 40% lye solution rate, and my goat milk soap is very hard and mild at 10 to 14 days after pour. I do use a hard recipe (42 on the soapcalc computer.

Paul

Proceed with caution if you decide to use a dehumidifier. They generate a LOT of heat which can contribute to DOS - counterbalancing the benefit of the lower humidity. And along with sucking moisture out of the air they suck $$ out of your wallet when the electricity bill comes due!

I know they work for some, but you really need to balance things.

NMAriel said:
PS. I find that the longer my soaps cure, the better and milder they are. I'm using soap today that was made in June, and its better today than it was when it was 6 wks old. Also last year I gave someone a bar that was about two years old, and they loved it. I had another one, and I used it and they were right, it was wonderful. So does soap become better the longer it sits? That's what I am experiencing.

Thanks.

This is my experience, too. I'm one of those persnickety, anal, soapers that just flat out refuses to let my CP soaps leave my racks until a minimum of four weeks has gone by. :lol:

I know that the main chemical reaction has already taken place during that first week after pour, but I swear, I am absolutely convinced that there's more than just water evaporation going on in my soap as time goes by, because the longer my soap sits on the rack, the milder and bubblier it gets at 4 to 6 weeks out as compared to my two week old soap. Call me crazy, but there's just no 'and's, if's, or but's' about it for me. It's just flat out superior in comparison in every way, even if I CPOPed it.

Have you tried HP?

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
NMAriel said:

Thanks.

This is my experience, too. I'm one of those persnickety, anal, soapers that just flat out refuses to let my CP soaps leave my racks until a minimum of four weeks has gone by. :lol:

I know that the main chemical reaction has already taken place during that first week after pour, but I swear, I am absolutely convinced that there's more than just water evaporation going on in my soap as time goes by, because the longer my soap sits on the rack, the milder and bubblier it gets at 4 to 6 weeks out as compared to my two week old soap. Call me crazy, but there's just no 'and's, if's, or but's' about it for me. It's just flat out superior in comparison in every way, even if I CPOPed it.

Have you tried HP?

IrishLass :)
[/quote]

Thanks everyone. IrishLass, you said it exactly. I've always felt like you, that there is something else going on becuase the longer it sits the better it is. And I too just don't like to give my soap to someone if its younger than 6 wks....90 days is even better. That's why I'm starting to make stuff now for christmas. Thanks again.

About reducing my water: I use goat milk and I only use 8 oz of goat milk to 64 oz oils. So there's not alot of liquid compared to some recipes I've seen.

When I need soap fast, I use a 33% lye concentration and CPOP. I cut it the next morning. You're right that soap is best used after 4 weeks, but it doesn't mean it can't walk out the door after two. If I do that, I might put a sticky on it with a "Best Used After" date. I mean, generally, it's not like people are going to run home and use them all right away. All that said, I generally try to avoid that situation.

it CAN walk out the door any time. i will not cut the 4 weeks short either. and a use after date is an option but you need to make sure your consumer is educated and that your packaging will allow the cure to continue. so unless you are selling bars in paper bags I don't recommend it.

and you can disagree all you like, but hard doesn't mean it's ready - the cure is more than evaporation. and CPOP cuts out only about 2 days.

for me, soaping is about quality as much as anything else. heck - without good QC we are actually likely to be WORSE than the commercial stuff. NOT what I'm aiming for. kwim?

Yes, you can rush it & they can go out at 2 weeks. The question is, "Will you be as proud of that soap if it's used early as you would be of your 4 week old soap?"

It's always the soapmaker's choice, but it really comes down to the quality you're willing to release.

Yes, you can put a best used after note on the label, but honestly, I don't think people will pay attention to that. We are a society of instant gratification people. I'm a person who'd be offended by that. What do you mean, it's best after? Why did you sell it to me then? You mean it's not good now? It infers the soap isn't going to be as good as. Is that how you want your soap perceived?

Personally, I don't want people using my soap before it's at it's best. For me, that's after 4 weeks miminum.

Believe me, I know where you are with this. I asked this same question on a soapmaking group, because I was running out of soap & still had 2 more craft fairs to do.

After much debating with myself & hearing other soapmaker's opinions, I decided to just go to the fairs with what I have. I added to my inventory by adding some lotions.

Even though my inventory was smaller, I still made just as many sales, so it worked out for me & I didn't feel I was compromising my standards.

Now, this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain or 3 of salt, but it's something to consider. :D

mandolyn said:
Yes, you can rush it & they can go out at 2 weeks. The question is, "Will you be as proud of that soap if it's used early as you would be of your 4 week old soap?"

It's always the soapmaker's choice, but it really comes down to the quality you're willing to release.
that is exceptionally well worded.

carebear said:
mandolyn said:

that is exceptionally well worded.

I agree. And I also agree with not lowering my standards on quality. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back