Can cosmetic MICA powder be used to colour bar soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking this question is that I bought some green cosmetic Mica powder from: thesoapery.co.uk, which, according to the soapery, can be used to colour bathbombs and soap.
I tried to make a couple of bathbombs and coloured them green (they looked fab). However my daughter had a hell of a time washing to get her normal colour back - she was all green!
Will the same thing happen when colouring the bar soap? Will my family get green hands ??

Anybody know?

As long as it's cosmetic safe, the short answer is yes. However, you would need to know what's in it and is it high PH stable. If used, it could morph depending on the PH stable aspect. I have had some micas cause colored suds and rub off on a wash cloth but never had any stain my skin or bath tub.

For the bath bombs, did you use polysorbate or other emulsifier?
You should be able to use the mica in soap without problems. Again, check to make sure it's ph stable and to use the supplier's recommended amount.

Thank you all for your answers!
I went to the website, and unfortunately no PH value/staility is specified. I does however specify:
Cold process soap: 3-5 %
Nothing about bathbombs (I didn't use any emulsifier at all).
What do they mean by 3-5%????

3-5% means you can safely use it at three to five percent of the total weight of the product. Or about half an ounce to three quarters of an ounce per pound!

Which I certainly wouldn't recommend. :) For light coloring, the tip of a teaspoon per pound is great. For darker coloring, you have to play with it. The deeper tones, for me, tend to color well at 1/4 tsp per pound and usually don't cause problems on light-colored wash cloths.

Usually.

Back